Can't download programs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iasc, Sep 16, 2009.

1. iasc macrumors newbie

I have an imac and am unable to download any programs or applications or anything.
    Please help.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What are you using to download?
    Try a different browser or try downloading something other then a .dmg file.

3. jointsmoking macrumors regular

That's pretty vauge. What method are you using to download? What happens when you try? You might find help here, but you will have to provde details on what you've tried and what happens when you try.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Looks like jointsmoking beat me to it. We can help you, but we need more details.

5. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

OK, we can assume that you have an internet connection that is working as you are able to access and post on Mac Rumors.

So go to the MacRumors home page, right click on the picture accompanying the ad for Snow Leopard in the top right hand corner, right click and select 'Save Image To Downloads'.

What happens?

6. iasc thread starter macrumors newbie

Firstly, with regard to the browser i'm using, I've tried safari, firefox and opera and none of them work.
    It happens with any application or program and when i try to download it I just get a black screen that says nothing.

I am able to download the picture.

Also I know this question is in the complete wrong place but I was in a rush.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Care to take some screenshots? The fact that you cannot download an App makes little sense. The .dmg should just download, whether you are able to install it might be a different question.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

as a test go to adium.im and click the download link. Safari should download it straight away (Firefox will ask to save) to your Downloads folder indicated by the Downloads stack bouncing. depending if you have downloads to auto open (default setting in Safari) the disk image will open and then drag Adium to the Applications folder link to install (in this case).

Adium is a great app BTW... its a great multi service chat client.

9. iasc thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried to download boxee and it worked.
    I then tried to download pathfinder and I didn't work. I've attached what I got.

Adium also came up with the same result.

Attached Files:

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. grabatfli macrumors newbie

12. omarjk macrumors regular

13. omarjk macrumors regular

I hope that didn't come across as curt, but you may get more help by posting in the right place.

14. iasc thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably should have mentioned this before but I completely forgot. Just before this started to happen I was playing with my download folder and trying to clear it up and I somehow managed to delete everything in it.

I'm not sure what you mean by downloader apps thegoldenmackid.

15. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

my client had the same issue a while back, its some kind of firewall setting in your router, during the download you are loosing bits.

Ben

16. iasc thread starter macrumors newbie