Can't download since SL upgrade with right click

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mike330R, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mike330R macrumors member

Edited to fix mistakes-
    Since the Snow Leopard upgrade I am unable to download any thing (software etc etc) without right clicking and saving as. Some Java Script based download buttons to not allow this so I would not be able to download at all if the button is java based.

Any help?

Original Post:
    I tried to get some help in some other Mac Forums but people ran out of idea's so i am trying here.

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard I am having issues downing if the download button is flashed based. Most times I can right click and save as, but if the button is flash based it takes me to the link of the download but never down loads.

Example: at the very bottom of the link posted below the button says Download Software.
    When I click the button it takes me to the link but it's just a blank page and the software never downloads.

Logitech Touch Mouse Server

I don't need this particular software but have run into this flash button issue in the past and would like to resolve it. This also happens when I try to download Quick Time Pro from Apple.
    Is there a fix for this or something I am doing wrong?

thanks for any help!

The other thread I mentioned is HERE if anyone wants to see what I already tried. People who tried to help over there had no issues with these buttons.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

OK, why can't I right click and save as on that download button?

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You're not going to be able to right-click->Save as... with that link as it is not a direct link to the download. That download links to a javascript that initiates the download.

Does it not download when you click the link? Did you check the Downloads window to make sure it didn't download? Sometimes the Downloads window is beneath your current browser window and doesn't pop to the front when a new download starts, but it does start.

Any chance you have javascript disabled?

That's all I can think of... :D

5. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

How do I check if java is disabled?

No it does not d/l, just takes me to a blank screen which is the download link.
    And it's not in downloads folder.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's JavaScript. Java is completely different (and far more annoying).

Safari -> Preferences -> Security -> Web content -> Enable JavaScript (should be checked).

7. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Java is enabled.

Still can't download from java based download buttons.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

9. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

Edited to add info to original post.

In a nut shell I can't download anything unless I right click and save as. Some java based buttons do not allow right clicking.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, let's get this straight. Java is what loads little applets embedded in your browser window. It's sometimes used for games, as well as for many standalone applications. JavaScript is a scripting language used on web pages to add extra functionality. They are completely different. I have never seen a Java download button in my life, so I'll assume what you're talking about is JavaScript, even though you keep saying Java.

What happens when you left-click on a download link, JavaScript-based or otherwise?

11. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

Left click takes me to the link of the download but ends with a blank screen and nothing downloaded. I have looked in the d/l folder and even seached the hard drive. The only way to d/l anything is to right click and save as. But some download links do not allow that, ie what I'm calling a java based button which may be the wrong term.