Can't download torrents!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FunkyMonkey, Dec 6, 2008.

1. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

No matter what I do Transmission won't find any peers. I've tried many torrent files that I know work, cause I've used them before. I've even tried using my neighbors wifi, no luck.

After about a minute, it says "Error: Tracker request failed. Got HTTP status code 0 (No Response)"

Help!:confused:

EDIT: UTorrent won't work either. So there is something wrong with my computer or my network. Anyone have any advice?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Are you on a school network? They are notorious for blocking P2P. The all-powerful monopoly of crapcast (Comcast) might also be blocking something. Or the Feds. Who knows. All I know is that it is a violation of our rights to block traffic like this.

Alternatively, have you installed PeerGuardian or something like it? That has the potential to block things it doesn't like for whatever reason.

The fact that it failed on both networks (and both computers?) tells me that it is probably your ISP. But that is just conjecture, as I am not an expert in the technical detail of P2P (just how to use it for my own benefit :D)

3. surf4peace macrumors newbie

surf4peace

After the update...

My torrents aren't working either. Worked last week pre-software update. Tried portforwarding, but w/ dynamic IP setting not sure if that works. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

4. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

try another .torrent file from another website :)

5. FunkyMonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Well whatever it was, its gone now. I just tried it again, and it's working. The wierd thing is that I didn't change anything, it just works now.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Possible the tracker was down at that time (happens a lot, trackers stop responding for whatever reason) and now it is back up.

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

haha that sounds about like what my brother says when he is having issues with the PC I built him. lol with that machine, just accept that it is working now and don't worry that it was weird earlier :D

8. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Do yourself a favour and download uTorrent Beta for mac... I topped out at 11.3MB/sec last week :D

I love the school library and it's ridiculous internet!

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

What has this got to do with Transmission? Did you get poor download speeds with Transmission? uTorrent is a beta after all and does have bugs.