Can't download YouTube in Safari 5.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cheule, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Cheule, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

Cheule macrumors member

I'm a teacher, and whenever I want to show a clip from YouTube, I download it to a local drive to bring it to school. The district blocks all YouTube content on site.

As per this hint:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20070420014456930
    In older versions of Safari, I would just find the youtube video element in the activity window, and double click to download.

In OS X Lion, I cannot seem to get it to work. Anyone figured it out?

2. Cheule thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your attempt to help with a website that will download content for me, but I was wondering where the Safari functionality went. I really liked having the keys to the kingdom so-to-speak. Not having to rely on a separate website or app...

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm running Safari 5.1 and fortunately it works for me. I'm not sure why it would not work for you, have you tried it with several youtube videos?

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Yep, I can still download youtube videos using this method on Safari 5.1 on Lion.

5. Cheule thread starter macrumors member

I have tried it with several videos, no luck. I'm thinking now it might be related to my Click-to-Flash flash blocker plugin installed, and that HTML5 videos don't download the same way.

Let me disable click to flash.. brb

6. Cheule, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

Cheule thread starter macrumors member

Ok, disabling click-to-flash was helpful, but now the problem I'm having is this:

when I click the downloading clip in the activity window of safari, it's opening in a new window and playing there instead of downloading. Anyone have an idea of how to make it download instead of opening in a new window?

7. Cheule thread starter macrumors member

Option-clicking the item in the activity window did it.

Whew. Problem solved. Thanks all that replied, you were a help!

8. jaspervb macrumors newbie

click to flash

Maybe noob question
    But How to disable Click 2 flash?

9. ttsmale macrumors newbie

how was it solved am facing the same problem am a mbp 10.7.3 lion

10. Rusty Tom macrumors newbie

I too am on 10.7.3 and couldn't download.
    My downloads icon had disappeared from the tool bar and the 'show downloads' was missing from the view section along the top. I overcame this by downloading something (in this case some scanner software) and the downloads button reappeared. a real lo-tech way of doing things, but it worked!
    Hope this helps

11. seashellz macrumors 6502

Window/Activity-no longer always works-and then at times it favors FLV videos
    It will leave a like 7kb placeholder with the YT video number-it used to be that all the other files were in kb-so you just went to the file that was numerical growing in MBs-but not anymore
    maybe YT has found a way around it

Adium has a download button when you right click the YT screen