Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Denmark
If I try to drag a file from the Downloads in the Dock to the Trash in the Dock, nothing happens.

If I open Downloads in Finder, I can drag the file to Trash in Dock.
And I have no problem dragging files into Download in the Dock.

So I would think it's not a permission think?
Anyone know a fix or stuff I could try? :/

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Your post isn't entirely clear. Can you drag from Downloads (in the Dock) to the Desktop? If you can, then obviously you can drag, so what happens when you drag over the Trash? What does "nothing happens" look like? Do you mean the Trash won't even highlight? Does it highlight and then fail?

Have you logged out of your account and back in? Have you restarted the computer? Have you tried this in another user account?

There is nothing like a small movie to show us what you mean. Can you record it with your phone and upload one?

dimzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Denmark
Your post isn't entirely clear. Can you drag from Downloads (in the Dock) to the Desktop? If you can, then obviously you can drag, so what happens when you drag over the Trash? What does "nothing happens" look like? Do you mean the Trash won't even highlight? Does it highlight and then fail?

Have you logged out of your account and back in? Have you restarted the computer? Have you tried this in another user account?

There is nothing like a small movie to show us what you mean. Can you record it with your phone and upload one?
Yeah.. maybe a small movie is better :)

1. I drag the file from Desktop to Downloads (had to comfirm outside the picture)
2. I drag the file back to the Desktop
3. same as 1.
4&5. I trie to drag the file to Trash from Downloads.. nothing happens, other the Trash get highlighted.
6. Same as 2.
7. I drag the file from Desktop to Trash, that works.

Hope that helps :)

I have restartet the Mac many times, so yes, have logged out and in again.
Havn't tried another user account, only have one account atm on this Mac.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The movie helps. From what I can tell, you're missing the trash icon. While you are dragging an item, it's not enough to drag the icon over the target. You must drag the mouse pointer over the target. In your video it looks like you're just missing the trash can with your mouse cursor.

dimzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Denmark
The movie helps. From what I can tell, you're missing the trash icon. While you are dragging an item, it's not enough to drag the icon over the target. You must drag the mouse pointer over the target. In your video it looks like you're just missing the trash can with your mouse cursor.
I’m sure that I’m not missing the trash icon when draging to it :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There are two reasons I think you might be missing it:

1. The trash icon never highlighted or displayed its name.
2. When you released the mouse button/trackpad, the cursor was just off of the trash icon.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 11.05.00 AM.png

Try dragging and holding over the trash until you see it highlight and the name appears. Even better, drag and hold over the trash. The trash window should open. If it does, you know you've hit your target.

dimzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Denmark
There are two reasons I think you might be missing it:

1. The trash icon never highlighted or displayed its name.
2. When you released the mouse button/trackpad, the cursor was just off of the trash icon.

View attachment 838271

Try dragging and holding over the trash until you see it highlight and the name appears. Even better, drag and hold over the trash. The trash window should open. If it does, you know you've hit your target.
It may look that way in the video, so here is one just for you:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So when you hover the trash opens, which it should. But when you just drag and drop the file returns to its original location. That is very weird. Consider that the trash behavior is controlled by the Dock application. Try deleting the Dock plist at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and then log out and back in.

dimzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Denmark
So when you hover the trash opens, which it should. But when you just drag and drop the file returns to its original location. That is very weird. Consider that the trash behavior is controlled by the Dock application. Try deleting the Dock plist at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and then log out and back in.
Deleting that file, will that undo other stuff on my Mac, that I then have to redo? :S

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's a good question to ask. It might, but the consequences should be minor. I would expect the Dock to return to its default. You might have to add your favorite apps, adjust the size and location, hiding, etc. That's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.