Can't edit contacts on my S4

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jimbo1mcm, Jun 20, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2010
    I hope I have missed a setting somewhere, but I can't edit contacts on my S4, either with an original contact, started and placed on the device, or a contact transferred from another device during the contact transfer when buying the phone. I have another S4 that I can edit contacts on so I am at a loss as to why I can't with this one.When I press settings and edit, nothing happens, nor does pressing the edit tab at the tab. Thanks for the help.
  2. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

Jul 12, 2012
    Where are your Contacts stored?
    S4 contacts can come and be stored from different locations: Device, SIM card, imported from a Mail account, etc.
  3. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2010
    I am not sure how to find out where the contacts are stored. I believe they are on the device. I did import them from my micro sd card. Also, when I originate a contact on my device, and save it, then open it, I still can't edit it.
  4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Jul 23, 2010
    I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
    Have you tried editing your contacts on Google and then syncing your device? I hardly ever keep contacts on sim or phone storage, everything follows me from device to device in the clouds
  5. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2010
    Update: FIXED!!!! I must have had a corrupt editor. I downloaded Contact Editor Pro by Marten Gajda and installed it. I now have complete control over the contacts and can edit them using the normal tabs in the contact. Thank you so much app developer!!!
  6. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2011
    Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
    When you open up the contact in the stock contact app, then press the <Menu> button and press <Edit>, what happens then?
  7. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2010
    When I hit menu, then edit, nothing happened. It was like they were read only, but after I put in the new contact editor, they reacted normally. Weird.