Can't Edit Photos from Windows from Iphone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lsafley, Jan 6, 2012.

1. lsafley macrumors newbie

This error comes up when trying to edit photos from Windows Photo. The only fix I can do is open in Paint then resave in same file then edit away.

Even if I edit from iphone prior to transfering to Windows the edited photo does not make it through and I get the unedited photo.

Haha, I got literally kicked off Apple Forum just for bringing this error up.

Attached Files:

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

From what i've read about this, your opening it in the Paint way is the best answer for know. I heard that the iphone 4s will have issues with some programs, because it is so new version (not recognizing it), same with OS X Lion on macs. I also read, Microsoft Office is a alternative too to open in.
    I might be wrong, but i tried.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

4. lsafley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

I completely get it that I tend to use more of the options advertised on things like phones and cameras than most and 99 percent of the people would never even dream of editing a photo for widescreen viewing or anything so thank you for the response. It really frustrates me because if Apple does not want to work with Microsoft then maybe they should take a look at there stock price from when before they decided to make Windows devices and after.

Before the Apple Windows products you could not even buy an apple product unless you went to maybe one authorized Apple dealer per county. Jpeg images should work with Windows, no excuses.

While I am ranting a bit, any reason the camera does not take widescreen photos and video by default no matter what way you hold the phone. Who really wants an 8 megapixel photo to be viewed in vertical or has anyone ever tried to look at a vertical video on Youtube. Why would you ever need 1080p for some silly vertical video. This would keep the lense and flash away from a persons had and also make alot less shaking. It would allow one handed shooting in place of two.

Then the flash is located a fraction of nothing away from the lense, it bounces off most cases and flashes back into the lense and washes out photos. Haha, the recomended work around from Apple is to take off the case. The phones were 100 percent designed to work with a case and yes I changed to a bumper only case to solve problem but wow the previous case that held my debit card in the back sure was nice.

5. thens68 macrumors newbie

same issue

Like most of the time I just want to rotate the photo and I get the same error pop up. This is so frustrating.When I take a picture normally it comes out sideways or upside down on the comp. :confused:

6. ObuckiO macrumors regular

This is the only few workarounds i have found with many great feedbacks:
    Basically the metadata for orientation is causing the problem, the easiest way is to strip the data and an easy way for a single photo is as follows for default setup machines.
    Default photo editor : Paint
    Default images open with: Windows Photo Viewer

Right click and choose EDIT, the photo will open in paint.
    Save the program with either CTRL + S or File Save.
    Close paint.
    Rotate picture: Right click, Rotate CW / Rotate CCW or Open picture viewer and click the appropreate arrow button.

Repeat as neccessary.

It gets quite fast once you get the hotkeys down, double click, ctrl + s, ctrl + f4, right click, rotate.

7. jimmieclark3 macrumors newbie

Solution - Quick App

I am a developer. My wife had this same problem today, so I put together an app that basically does what paint is doing manually. It opens the images and saves them back allowing them to be rotated. You can scan specific folders, and even within a certain modified date.

It isn't real complex, just wanted to do many pics at once. Hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

8. Fayb118 macrumors newbie

Easy fix (works on a Windows Computer)

EASY FIX with a single program to do all your photos at ONCE!

Easy Fix for people who cannot edit Iphone photos on their Windows Computer!
    Download a Program called Format Factory (It is a program that changes files from one format to another works great for video files but also does Images PC only) http://www.formatoz.com/download.html - They are legit, they take profit through donations (no adds)

1. Download and install Format Factory to your windows computer.
    2. Double Click and launch Format Factory then select Photos on the left hand side and hit "all to JPEG"
    3. Click Add file and navigate to where your photos are.. highlight them all Ctrl+A and hit Open, then hit Ok..

4. Hit Play.. and your done.. it will take your photos and re-convert them into JPEG images.. Click on the icon that says "Output folder" to see where your photos went.

Note: Your original photos (ones that cannot be edited) will still be wherever they where at the beginning. Drag the originals to the trash (or another folder if you dont want to loose them) and replace them with the ones from the Output folder..

I tested this on a Windows 7 Computer and it works
    8/6/12
    Bernard

9. rottenapple2341 macrumors newbie

It's only when there is a face in the photo

Is that ****ed up or what? you can edit photos all day long until there is a face in the photo and then you can't edit the photo. All I wanted to do was take a picture of myself and put it into a word doc. and I can't do that. now three hours later I am pissed. I am done with Iphone and Apple. **** you Apple and your Chinese slave labor produced Iphone. Do us all a favor and stop trying to think.

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to edit the source image still on the phone? Have you tried copying the image to your computer and then editing the copy instead?