Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sorry, I did a search and couldn't find if anyone had this same issue. I just purchased a new computer and authorized it to access my library and everything but no matter what I do, I can't edit any of the song names or artist info. It's just grayed out.

Does anyone know how to counter this annoyance? Thanks very much and sorry if this has been answered before.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I've never seen this before. Therefore a couple of questions:

You're able to listen to the songs, right?

Is there any chance that you locked the iTunes folder or are you accessing the iTunes folder of a different user account?

homerjfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've never seen this before. Therefore a couple of questions:

You're able to listen to the songs, right?

Is there any chance that you locked the iTunes folder or are you accessing the iTunes folder of a different user account?

Thanks for the response. I can listen to the songs and everything. The big issue is the editing the info. I don't think I locked the Itunes folder and the folder is in my external hard drive. Do you think that may be the issue? Should I try transferring a few songs to the actual hard drive of my computer, and then try the editing again?

mudwoman22

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
Thanks for the response. I can listen to the songs and everything. The big issue is the editing the info. I don't think I locked the Itunes folder and the folder is in my external hard drive. Do you think that may be the issue? Should I try transferring a few songs to the actual hard drive of my computer, and then try the editing again?

I totally had this same problem and after two hours of research I finally figured it out...

Find the file location...right click (are you on a pc?) its under "read only" probably on the bottom...you need to uncheck the box...there's different ways to go about this depending on what computer you have (tell me and I could help you some more)...
This solved all my problems...it took me a while to find it (its under options usually) but I finally got it

mudwoman22

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
sorry...that probably really wasn't helpful at all...

so here's better instructions:

on my pc (I have no idea how to do this on a mac):

(this is only if you downloaded music...or you can find the file location): go to your downloads/files location
go to the song that's giving you trouble
right click
click properties (all the way at the bottom)
A window will pop up, near the bottom there is a box that says "read only" next to it, your box is more than likely checked...uncheck it...and the problems fixed

hope that helped :)

nycrp

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
can't edit song info

I had the same problem. Yes, it's because the file is marked "read only" when it got downloaded. someone suggested going into the dowloading folder and unchecking the "read only" box in properties. Didn't work for me because I had already added the file to the iTunes library. But if you go directly to the library, search for the song there, then right click, click properties, then uncheck the "read only" box - that worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.