Can't edit text dictated to Siri on the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mightyjabba, Apr 17, 2015.

1. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Maybe this is common knowldge, but one thing I learned listening to John Gruber's most recent podcast was that you can't edit text that you dictate to Siri for things like text messages. So if she gets one word wrong, you will have to try the whole thing again or just live with the mistake. He said he thought this was why you can't respond to emails on the watch--emails tend to be longer than texts and given the current situation it would be too frustrating. Just thought it was interesting. I wonder if this is one of those things that they will improve in future revisions.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Heard the same bit on Gruber's podcast yesterday. It makes sense. They don't want to get into a situation where you're using a keyboard of any kind on the watch. The solution is better accuracy from Siri, not an input method addition IMO.

3. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

He mentioned the ability to dictate corrections on specific words on the iPhone. Seems like Apple just needs to port that to the watch.

4. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

On the plus side you can send the audio itself so maybe for shorter messages you use Siri for longer you send the audio or just haul out the phone. Just curious is there a downside to sending audio? Can't imagine it takes up that much data compared to videos on Facebook etc but figured I may as well check I honestly never really used it.

5. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Only downsides I can think of would be:

1. The sender and recipient would have to be in a place where they can record/listen to audio messages. Although, recipients can put the phone to their ear like a call but it's not always situationally appropriate.

2. Audio recordings are set to expire after 2 minutes, by default. If you're someone that likes to have logs of conversations to look over or whatever, you're either gonna have to use the storage for the recordings or accept their loss.

6. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

The recipient may not be in a place where they're able to get audio messages.

7. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I have used that, tap on word an dictate correction, I can't believe they left that out. I would hope that would be an easy software fix.

8. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

In most cases I don't expect to be dictating a lot of text on my watch. Should be fine. Mainly just for quick texting