Can't eject DVD that's due at blockbuster tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sergerya, May 7, 2008.

1. sergerya macrumors newbie

Hey guys, for the life of me, I cannot eject this damn DVD from my mac. And what makes this even more interesting, is that the DVD is due back at Blockbuster by noon tomorrow.

I'm using an intel-based (so I can't boot up in firmware) new imac (not using leopard). The DVD doesn't even show up on my desktop. I've tried just about everything, including:

1. Pressing the eject button (doesn't even show the eject sign)
    2. cmd e
    3. Holding down the mouse button after a reboot.
    4. Turning my mac off for a while
    5. Opening Disk Utility (disk doesn't show up)
    6. Opening iTunes and trying to eject

The only other things I can even think of trying are shutting down until tomorrow morning, or trying to pry the sucker out with a credit card (I read another forum where a guy did this and it worked.. a little apprehensive to try it though)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried to right click the DVD icon and click eject disc?

3. sergerya thread starter macrumors newbie

The DVD icon never came up. It's almost like my computer doesn't even know it ate my DVD.

4. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The slot-loaders don't always like to unload a disc. I have used a driver's license inserted on the topside of the disc while unloading to get the sucker out. Give it a shot. Can't hurt.

5. sergerya thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna take a trip up to blockbuster to see if I can't get this extended somehow. I'll be right back..

6. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Apple Genius

One of my friend had a problem similar to this, he took it to apple genius. They did it in few seconds by pulling out using a cello tape. Try it.

7. Poeben macrumors 6502

Just to add another to the list:

From terminal type:

drutil tray eject

Does it ever try to eject, make motor sounds etc? You may need to finagle around in there with a credit card, small knife etc like previously mentioned. It also may help to orient your Mac with either the screen facing the floor, or upside down. I had to do this with a MacBook Pro several times; holding it like a book, shaking vigorously with a card in the slot. It came out after about 2 minutes of this treatment. Not fun.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

didnt blockbuster do away with late fees anyway?

9. soms macrumors 6502

soms

yep. if all else fails just return your laptop w/ said dvd.

10. sergerya thread starter macrumors newbie

They say they did, but it's a grace period thing. After however long the movie is supposed to be out for, my case - 2 days, you have a week to return it before you get charged (9 days). Thankfully it's only $1.33. After a month they charge you 20 or 30 though. So I'll make it out alive from this yet.

I'm doing work right now, but tomorrow morning I'll try the above mentioned things. Thanks for all the advice guys.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Take it to the Apple Store after getting a Genius appointment.

They'll have it out in no time.