Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I had a similar problem with an external LaCie drive.
My Music files are on an external Samsung T7 SSD drive. The only files on the drive are the Music media folders/files and the LaCie files that were on the drive when I got it. (There's a "LaCie" folder and a "LaCie Setup" folder.)
The drive works fine, but when I try to eject, I get a message that it can't eject because one or more programs may be using it. I've closed my Music app, so I don't know what other app could be using it.

I can use Force Eject, but I'd rather not because I get the warning that it could mess up the drive.

Is there an easy answer to what other programs may be using the drive? How I can stop that so I can eject the drive?

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Apparently, the problem is Spotlight indexing. I needed to got to preferences/spotlight/privacy and add the drive to the "do not index" list. Let's see if that works.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Just had this issue with my t7 the other day during a time machine backup. I found this solution on reddit and it worked. Option + Right click finder -> relaunch -> done

Reactions: JamesMay82

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
No, this doesn't really work. I'm not sure why not. Sometimes I can eject, sometimes not. Sometimes Spotlight wont let me add the T7 to the privacy list. Or it disappears from the privacy list. Or it's still on the privacy list and wont eject.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I found that ejecting by right-clicking on the desktop icon for the drive usually worked even when I couldn’t eject from finder. I deleted all of the La Cie folders from the drive, and now it seems to be ejecting fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.