Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Got a new 27" iMac recently and am trying to set up Boot Camp. I partitioned the HD and then installed Windows XP. The installation went smoothly, and then the computer restarted. Only problem is the Windows XP system disc is still in the CD drive. Now the computer wants to boot from the CD and can't. I get a message that says, "Press any key to boot from CD.....Disk error Press any key to restart", and I have no way to eject the disc. (There is no pin hole next to the CD slot that I can put a paperclip in to force it out.) I've tried restarting and then hitting Command + Option + O + F (found that advice at Apple's site). No joy. Apple support is closed for about the next three hours, so can't get any help there. Can anyone help out please? :(

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hold down the mouse button while the computer boots, the disc will eject.

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks for the fast reply. I already tried that, and that didn't work. Any other ideas?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
What about holding option during boot, booting into either OS X or Windows and ejecting the disc?

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
That doesn't work either. I get the same message as above. :mad: Any other thoughts?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
That doesn't work either. I get the same message as above. :mad: Any other thoughts?

That doesn't make sense. Holding Option should give the choice of how to boot, before it tries to boot from anything. It's built into EFI.

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I've tried it twice now with no luck. I have the wireless keyboard and mouse, if that makes any difference. I can't believe I'm the only one who has had this problem, but in searching the forums I'm not finding anything on this. This really stinks. My computer is a brick until I can figure out how to get that disc out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've read reports that people ran into problems with wireless keyboards and the windows disk. I think the best advice is to hook up a wired keyboard and mouse and you should be able to forceably eject the disk by holding down the mouse at that point or at least bypassing it by holding the option key and selecting OSX.

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Finally! I tried the Option key on startup, and this time it worked. You have to press the Option key 'after' restarting. I had been holding it down and then restarting. Thank you, r.j.s!

BTW, I was able to use the Option key with the wireless keyboard, although the mouse was not working. Fortunately, you can select the HD you want with the keyboard's arrow keys and Enter button.

OK, I was able to boot up with OS X and eject the disc. I went back and used the Option key again to try to boot up in Windows XP. I get an error message similar to before that says, "Disk error Press any key to restart." Is there another way I should be booting up Windows? Sorry for all the newb questions, but I was using a PC before I bought my iMac.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I would try booting into Mac OS X.

Under the Apple menu, select System Preferences, then Startup Disk.

If you can boot to your Windows Partition, is should show as an option that you can select.

If not, then more than likely your Windows install had some issue.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Did you actually go through the Windows install process yet, or are you still trying to boot from the disc to install it?

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I completed the installation of Windows XP. On one of the restart attempts, when it said, "Press any key to boot from CD..." I hit a key, and it started to go through the installation/formating process again. I got to a screen where I was able to press a key to indicate that I didn't want to reformat again. I'm thinking that may have messed up the original installation, so I'm going back and reformating the partition as I type this (obviously, I have a second computer on hand). ;) I'll report back once it's finished, so if you're still poking around the forums, check back. Thanks for all the help, guys.

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Well, maybe not. It appears it's going to reinstall Windows XP on the same partition and not reformat it. I don't want to do that. I've deleted the partition and am going to start over with Boot Camp Assistant. I'll report back after I've reinstalled Windows XP.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Not knowing exactly what you did that caused this issue, I would suggest that you use Bootcamp Assistant to restore the HD to one Mac formated one.

Restart to make sure all is working okay, then shut down your computer.

After you start up your computer, then from scratch start your Windows install again by using Bootcamp Assistant to create a Windows partition.

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks, Sushi. That was what I did. I deleted the partion in the BIOS (or whatever it's called...looks like BIOS) and then rebooted OS X. Boot Camp Assistant didn't even have an option to repartion the drive, all I could do was Restore the drive to one partition for OS X. Then, when I restarted Assitant, I was able to partition the drive again... Anyway, I'm now reinstalling Windows XP on the new partition. Fingers are crossed!

GL2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Ok...

I repartitioned the HD with Boot Camp Assistant, as I said earlier.

Then I installed Windows XP.

Then I restarted the computer and pushed the Option key to allow me to reboot in OS X.

Then I ejected the Windows XP installation disc.

Then I restarted and hit the Option key again. I selected the Windows icon and...

"Disk error
Press any key to restart"

What am I doing wrong?

Warcraft Tauren

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Have to make sure it is an NTFS volume.

After bootcamp assistant sets it up and what not and you restart to boot from the CD (i think) you have to format it which it should give you an option to do. you have to choose NTFS volume.

other than that I don't know. and also, don't do anything while its installing just leave it alone unless it asks you to do something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.