Can't email attachments... not even photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majordude, Nov 13, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Okay, I took some photos on my iPhone... the only way (I can figure out) to send a photo to a friend is to upload it through the Facebook application... I can't email it to them or SMS it to them. :mad:

Am I missing something?! :confused:

2. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Yes - when viewing the picture click on the arrow icon on the bottom. A menu will pop up, select email and you can send the photo.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Really?! I'll try it to see if you are right...

If you are, why doesn't the mail app let me do the same thing?!!!

4. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I can't answer that, but I have emailed pictures from the photo app.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I think you can only send one at a time, but I just tried it (first time ever) and it works fine. Enter the camera app and select the icon in the lower left (photo gallery) and select a photo. Then just select the lower left icon and it will bring up an email template; start typing an address and it will bring up your address book entries that match what you ahve entered. If you don't see the icon bar at the bottom then just click anywhere in the photo to bring it up; it disappears rather quickly.

EDIT: Sorry, beat to the punch...

EDIT2: I don't know why Apple chose to do it this way. You should be able to send multiple pictures, or to send pictures from the email app, but for some reason in their infinite wisdom they decided we didn't need to do that.

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

THANKS ALL! :)

I'm glad I can send photos now... wish I could do bulk and I REALLY wish I could mail it from my iPhone Mail app! :(

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Apparently the all-powerful Apple knows better - nobody would EVER need to do that!

8. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

There is only one way to do things according to apple.

Your preference is not relevant.

9. Aurial macrumors 6502

I think if they gave you the option in the Mail app to attach things to emails it would be more obvious to people what the limitations of the phone are, i.e. the only thing you can email is a photo.

If there was a 'Attach' button in there people would probably expect to be able to attach whatever they wanted, like documents when the document editor apps get released, which of course they could not do.

I know that the email solution is much touted over the lack of MMS support, but MMS would be a much better solution for you sending your pictures. Not only would it allow you to send more than one at a time (if the iPhone is indeed limited to that), but also the mail app reduces the quality of the pics when you attach them. You can MMS at a higher resolution than the iPhone allows you to email pics at.

10. memesmith macrumors regular

Broadly speaking, its because there's no equivalent of the Finder on iPhone, no direct access to the directory structure. I think this is ditched to make the phone simpler to use, and I can live without it.

11. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

You're talking about desktop class mail. iPhone don't let you to attach one photo from the message you have only the chance t mail a ONE photo AT TIME from the photo album.
    However Real desktop class email is advertise by apple/steve as a feature of iPhone.. don't ask me why..