can't empty the trash because the files are in use... but they're not.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Is there a way to force empty the trash? I've got three sound files in there, and it says they're in use, but I have no apps open, and they aren't part of any other file on the computer..

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
after trying a few times.. ive restarted my mac and the things in the trash were gone.. and if not.. after the restart just try again..

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
Open the Utilities folder.
Open the NetInfo Manager utility.
Click the lock in the NetInfo Manager window.
Enter an administrator account name and password, then click OK.
If you have not previously set a root password, an alert box may appear that says "NetInfo Error," indicating that the password is blank. Click OK.
Enter the root password you wish to use and click Set.
Enter the password again for verification and click Verify.
The root user is now enabled.
Click the lock again to prevent changes.

Then log out of your account and then in as root and try deleting the stuff...after you're finished, go into NetInfo Manager and cancel the root user :)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
If you're comfortable in Terminal, you can sudo rm anything in the trash. The contents of the trash can is kept in a hidden folder in your home directory called .Trash.

I've never had this approach fail with files that are stuck in the trash but if you don't know how to do it, it's probably best to avoid.

seablue

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I second the root way IF it says root owns it. It's easy to do once you've done it once.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll get to work and let you know how it goes.

This is why I love MR. :D

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I risked the terminal command, and it appears to have worked. Haha, hope nothing else got deleted.:confused::D