Cant empty the trash can

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Clodd1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Clodd1 macrumors newbie

Clodd1

Hi, im new on Mac, I deleted a folder and it got stocked on the trash can, I tried those commands using the temirnal but no success. It says that there's a file in use.

2. ExiledPoacher macrumors newbie

ExiledPoacher

Have you tried restarting your Mac and trying again?

3. Clodd1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clodd1

Yes, many times.

4. MacBookSteve macrumors member

MacBookSteve

Finder has to be open and active in order for the trash can to respond.

5. Honza1 macrumors regular

Important Question - Are you sure this was NOT one of the system folders? No system likes that and all systems will try to stop you. You simply may not have privileges high enough. Similar problem happened to me on Widows and I ended reformatting the hard drive.
    If these are YOUR files: There are few more or less drastic methods which may help, but easiest and least dangerous may be restart computer in safe mode and try there. https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html
    It should load minimum stuff in safe mode, so file may not be in use at that time. It is also worth checking the disk first from Disk Utility to make sure there are no underlying issues with the drive. And if nothing helps, it may be time to google the problem and follow some instructions. But when this happened to me in past, it was always challenge. Note, that when instructions tell you to become (and how) superuser in command line interface, you can do a LOT of damage quickly. Make VERY GOOD (and verified) backup first!

6. Clodd1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clodd1

The problem is, I brought this MBP from a friend and when I created a new user I`ve found on the system a folder with his name on it, so I deleted it. Apparently there's no file inside this folder (or it might be hide). Not a big problem, just bothers me to see my trash always full.

7. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

I have the same problem and I have not found a solution yet.

8. Honza1 macrumors regular

That looks like privileges issue. You should not be deleting someone else' home folder. The way that is done is by deleting the user from User management interface - at which point their home folder should be deleted. I remember fighting with similar issue at some point but do not remember how I fixed it.
    If this was not home folder, but arbitrary folder in the system folders, it's even more tricky and one needs to get the privileges right. But that should be doable as superuser from command line. One can do a lot of damage that way.

9. Clodd1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clodd1

''0000'' is the folder name (it was my friend's name so I renamed it to ''0000'').
    trash.png

10. Cordorb macrumors regular

sometimes a Force the Trash to empty using the Option key will work.

11. Babmo macrumors newbie

I‘ve had problems with ghost files a few times, very annoying. Usually, a process is using the file in question, although the file itself doesn‘t exist. There is a terminal command to find and stop these processes, but I use this free app https://sveinbjorn.org/sloth

It shows which files are busy and then you simply kill the process.