Can't empty trash - Extreme Edition

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kirkbross, Apr 28, 2014.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Before you direct me to all the terminal commands for nuking the trash, I've done them all, including the most nuclear of all... rm -rf ~/.Trash.

There is still one item that won't go away. Attached is a screenshot because the folder contains a zillion nested image subfolders I never created. I'm hoping that might be a clue.

I think this happened when I was doing some house cleaning and permission repairs but I'm not sure what I did. I was deleting some large website directories with many thousands of items in different user accounts and on different boot volumes. Somehow this one folder got stuck... not sure if it was from another account that got trashed into this account, but there are no items in the other accounts' trash cans.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Are you sure it's in your home directory? Do you have any external disks connected?

Have you checked the /.Trashes folder (you will need sudo to ls it) - e.g.

sudo ls /.Trashes/

5. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Yes and it shows it as being an empty directory.

6. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

SOLVED:

It appears the stubborn directory inside my trash was in an old boot volume, but appearing in my current trash can. Further it was in a hidden folder called 505.

So... I had to cd into that directory and then run a sudo rm -rf *

Volumes/OLD_BOOT_VOLUME/.Trashes/505/directory_that_wouldnt_delete

Why that was appearing in the trash can of my current boot volume I do not know.

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Run Disk Warrior on your current boot volume (while booted from a different volume), you may have some directory corruption. ??:confused:?? Not sure, so just a suggestion.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Disk Warrior? :eek: What's wrong with Disc Utility!! :)

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Every volume has a .Trashes folder at its root. This then holds per-user trash folders, named by user ID. These are for use when the volume is NOT the startup disk, which means they're in addition to the trash folder in your user-account's home folder.

If you have an external disk connected (you do), and your user ID matches a directory in that disk's .Trashes folder (I don't know), then the contents of that user-specific folder will appear as "your trash" (apparently, it did). Given the facts of the situation, I would surmise that your user ID is 505. The easy way to confirm this is to type this command into a Terminal window, then press the RETURN key:
    Code:
    id

The output should list your user ID (uid=STUFF_HERE), among other things.

Also note that because the per-volume .Trashes folder resides on the external disk, if you have files in the trash on that volume, and you then eject the external disk, your trash will "become empty", even though the files on external disk have not been deleted. If you then reconnect the external disk, your trash will "become not empty", because the Finder/Dock sees a new disk with a trash folder that belongs to you.

All the above is normal, and happens all the time, even when you don't have weird unremovable stuff in an external disk's trash. That is, except for the weird stuff in the external trash, the Finder and Dock were behaving normally.

----------

That doesn't make sense. The weird stuff was on an external disk, not the boot disk. So if there's directory corruption, it's far more likely to be on the external disk than on the boot disk, because that's the file-system where the weird stuff actually resided.

A "Verify Disk" using Disk Utility on the external disk can't hurt. But it needs to happen on the external disk. Nothing I've seen in this thread suggests boot disk corruption.

10. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Thanks for the detailed explanation... very helpful to know the nitty gritty.

11. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I don't know why but that screenshot made me laugh

12. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

It's like it got into a feedback loop of creating images folders...