Can't Empty Trash: WTD?

mivara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
I've run out of space on my external harddrive where I keep my backups (using CrashPlan) so I located the backups on the drive and deleted some old backups. I hoped to do so at least. I can't so right now they are just lying around in the trash can. They can't be deleted and I can't move them back to their orignial folder either.

Some of the backups got deleted in the process but there are still six packages left. When trying to empty the trash can, I just get an error message saying: "The action cannot be done since "Applications is still in use" (freely translated from Danish).

What can I do now?

Attachments

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try a reboot to safe mode while holding the shift key down. This will stop all startup or launch items like Crashplan from starting. Then try to empty the trash. Restart afterwards.

LOLobo

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Had this issue recently.

Was over 65+ nested folders. I literally went in via Terminal to move sets of 60 folders at a time out of their parent folder.

mivara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
Had this issue recently.

Was over 65+ nested folders. I literally went in via Terminal to move sets of 60 folders at a time out of their parent folder.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work :D

Luckily, my issue solved itself somehow. All of a sudden, I was able to empty the trash. Weird.

mivara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
Darrrrrrn! The problem didn't solve itself. The thrash just vanished since I disconnected the external harddrive. Whenever I plug it in, the undeletable trash comes back. Sigh.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Have you contacted Crash Plan? This sounds like the same issue I had when a few of the Time Machine files were deleted. I couldn't get the trash can to delete without going into the command line. Maybe the folks over at Crash Plan have seen this before and have a way of doing this.

mivara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
Have you contacted Crash Plan? This sounds like the same issue I had when a few of the Time Machine files were deleted. I couldn't get the trash can to delete without going into the command line. Maybe the folks over at Crash Plan have seen this before and have a way of doing this.
Nope, but that might be the way to go. I'm trying that. Thanks.

mivara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
- UPDATE -

I tried everything. Every silly solution. Without any luck. I even had a long correspondence with the CrashPlan support crew but all they fired at me was useless in my case apparently :( So I ended up copying all my other files onto another external harddrive so that I could wipe the one with the corrupted files clean. Not that it came as a surprise, but that did the job :) Finally!

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
Nope, but that might be the way to go. I'm trying that. Thanks.
Today so many developers are so in rush to develop updates because there is so much competition that they are releasing a lot of bugs too. I have that problem with Adobe. Now if your software works do not touch it, update after you are very sure that version really works and contact the developer in no time specially via Facebook, they respond quicker that way.