Can't Empty Trash: WTD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mivara, Oct 12, 2015.

1. mivara macrumors regular

mivara

I've run out of space on my external harddrive where I keep my backups (using CrashPlan) so I located the backups on the drive and deleted some old backups. I hoped to do so at least. I can't so right now they are just lying around in the trash can. They can't be deleted and I can't move them back to their orignial folder either.

Some of the backups got deleted in the process but there are still six packages left. When trying to empty the trash can, I just get an error message saying: "The action cannot be done since "Applications is still in use" (freely translated from Danish).

What can I do now?

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try a reboot to safe mode while holding the shift key down. This will stop all startup or launch items like Crashplan from starting. Then try to empty the trash. Restart afterwards.

3. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

It didn't work :(

4. LOLobo macrumors member

Had this issue recently.

Was over 65+ nested folders. I literally went in via Terminal to move sets of 60 folders at a time out of their parent folder.

5. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work :D

Luckily, my issue solved itself somehow. All of a sudden, I was able to empty the trash. Weird.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That means one of the files was locked or you had a System file/service or running third party service file in Trash.

7. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

Darrrrrrn! The problem didn't solve itself. The thrash just vanished since I disconnected the external harddrive. Whenever I plug it in, the undeletable trash comes back. Sigh.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Have you contacted Crash Plan? This sounds like the same issue I had when a few of the Time Machine files were deleted. I couldn't get the trash can to delete without going into the command line. Maybe the folks over at Crash Plan have seen this before and have a way of doing this.

9. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

Nope, but that might be the way to go. I'm trying that. Thanks.

10. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

- UPDATE -

I tried everything. Every silly solution. Without any luck. I even had a long correspondence with the CrashPlan support crew but all they fired at me was useless in my case apparently :( So I ended up copying all my other files onto another external harddrive so that I could wipe the one with the corrupted files clean. Not that it came as a surprise, but that did the job :) Finally!

11. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

Today so many developers are so in rush to develop updates because there is so much competition that they are releasing a lot of bugs too. I have that problem with Adobe. Now if your software works do not touch it, update after you are very sure that version really works and contact the developer in no time specially via Facebook, they respond quicker that way.

12. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

next time:

"sudo rm -r /PATH/TO/THE/FOLDER"

rm doesn't ask questions. It deletes.