Can't empty trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jafingi, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Hi,

I can't empty my trash, because it says that some files are in use. It is some files on my external hard drive, and I've tried both deleting the /.Trashes by Terminal (with sudo rights), but it returns an error.

Also, I've tried emptying the trash while pressing 'alt'.

Anyone with a solution?

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Try restarting

3. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

It means an application is using them. Sometimes, if I email a screenshot that was on my desktop, then try deleting it, I have to first quit mail in order for it to delete. As mentioned above, a restart will fix the issue. However, if you know which app was using the file you're trying to delete, it's quicker to quit the app and empty the trash than it is to restart.

4. jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

It's been like that for the past 3 months, so I have restarted many times.

Also, did all the stuff from that Apple support document.

Finally, the files are all just shortcuts. Or at least Finder says so.

5. spiceykim macrumors member

I have had that issue and I have used Clean my mac to get rid of those files that the regular trash said it couldn't delete. Works great for me :)

6. Kanunu macrumors 6502

I have had the same problem in the past and now have it again. In all cases the files came from external drives and are UNIX executable files. Part of my problem may relate to the junk programs that come on external drives that I deleted.

I even tried Disc Utility erase (format) function without result. The files pop up again. I started to try the replace open space with 0's option but it takes forever so I quit prematurely. Before I was able to get rid of these files by hooking the drive up to a PC then deleting the .Trashes folder but this time that solution did not work.

7. Kanunu macrumors 6502

Third party solution for an Apple problem

I am going to buy this program. I downloaded the demo but it will not do the trash removal function without the upgrade. Too bad that users need to buy software to solve OSX deficiencies.

8. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven