Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone

My and wife and I are trying to empty the Trash on her MBA (2011, Lion 10.7.2) and every time we try, the empty trash window comes up but just sits there. When we cancel, it says it's stopping but, again, it just sits there, until you force quit and relaunch Finder.

What she was originally trying to do was uninstall Sims 3 (it was taking up too much space) and the files combined were about 12 GB in size. I moved the main file out (by main, I mean the biggest) and there were only a few other files in the Trash, they won't be deleted either and when I look at the info on the files, size has "--" next to them.

Not sure what to do, both my wife and I are long time PC users, slowly making the switch to Macs so we are still new with Macs.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Deleting can be slow with there are a lot of files. I put a bunch of timemachine backups in the trash and it took hours to complete.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Hey everyone

My and wife and I are trying to empty the Trash on her MBA (2011, Lion 10.7.2) and every time we try, the empty trash window comes up but just sits there. When we cancel, it says it's stopping but, again, it just sits there, until you force quit and relaunch Finder.

What she was originally trying to do was uninstall Sims 3 (it was taking up too much space) and the files combined were about 12 GB in size. I moved the main file out (by main, I mean the biggest) and there were only a few other files in the Trash, they won't be deleted either and when I look at the info on the files, size has "--" next to them.

Not sure what to do, both my wife and I are long time PC users, slowly making the switch to Macs so we are still new with Macs.

I'm new to Mac too and my Air did "secure erase" per factory default, which is very processor intensive (fan running high) and takes long time. Check if it comes up with this info when you attempt to delete. If it does uncheck it in the settings and it will only delete the path instead of the whole file. It took me a while on the web to figure this out :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.