Can't empty trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iAlexG, Jun 21, 2009.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

This is probaly going to seen like a very stupid question so please bear in mind this is my first mac.
    I cannot empty the trash because it tells me "The operation cannot be completed because the item "USBOverdriveHelper" is in use" Stop or Continue
    USB Overdrive is the program I am trying to uninstall.

A solution would be great thanks.

2. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

on http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Support.html it says:

"Uninstalling the USB Overdrive X
    To uninstall the USB Overdrive, use the Uninstall USB Overdrive application that's located in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder. If you deleted it by mistake, you can reinstall the USB Overdrive (even if it's already installed) and then remove everything with the Uninstall application."

3. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Thanks for the fast reply, maybe you can answer this too.

Ever since I installed USB Overdrive my scrolling has been VERY fast and when I open my mouse (Mighty Mouse) options and change the scrolling speed it does nothing?

4. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Sorry, I don't actually have USB Overdrive myself, I just looked on their website because I guessed it was the sort of thing that probably came with an uninstaller... did that not help then?

Someone else might have a better idea of what is going on with that, but I'd guess if you haven't uninstalled USB Overdrive properly it might have taken over the speed settings for your scrolling...

Again, I would just read http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Support.html
    in full and see if anything there sounds like it could help. The bit about the helper app being a login item might be relevant if you havent' managed to get rid of that - you can turn off/remove items as login items in the 'accounts' section in system preferences.

5. keithOrbit macrumors member

one: eject usb device. and try it .
    two: press option key and empty trash.

6. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

(Sorry I don't know how to quote?)
    Porco: Yes I got rid of USB Overdrive thankyou for the help since I thought Mac's didn't have uninstallers.

KeithOrit: Thankyou, simply ejecting worked.

This forums great!!!! Thankyou everyone

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

USB overdrive takes over your mouse also. you can change acceration speed from 1400 (Slowest) up to 80 (Fastest)

USB overdrive comes in handy.

I've been using it for 7 years now.

8. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Well I was using it to program my Logitech Dual Action GamePad to play COD4 but the left stick was only programable up and down. I need left and right too.
    Can you help? Or is there another way I can program the Gamepad because I dont like the pop up when I start my mac?

And if you can help when I install it again can I change the mouse scrolling speed because I hate it really fast?