Can't enable Home Sharing - account or password incorrect

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BadboyHouse, Jan 22, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

I'm trying to set up home sharing within iTunes on my MPB so that I can control iTunes fom my iPhone.

When I go to the Home Sharing setup screen, enter my Apple ID, and password, I just keep getting an error saying "Home Sharing could not be activated because the account or password was incorrect"

Thing is, the Apple ID and password that I'm using are the exact same details that are configured for my iTunes account - i.e. all of my music, apps etc are purchased with the same details.

I'm entering the details correctly also. Double checked password etc.

Is there anything else I can try?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The only thing that comes to mind is an error in the password....Capital letter for example? Had a buddy with the same issue a while back, he had the right password, but forgot the caps.

3. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

sorted it in a round-about way.

instead of enabling home sharing in iTunes first, i just opened the app on my phone, got the passcode, entered that back in iTunes, then everything linked up.

It's all working fine now!

4. jowie macrumors 6502a

I've got the same problem :( I changed my Apple ID password recently, and now I can't get machines back on the Home Sharing network, whether I use the new password or the old one?

When you said "opened the app on my phone, got the passcode, entered that back in iTunes, then everything linked up." - opened what app up? Music.app? What passcode? Please let me know thanks! :)

EDIT: I just reset my password in Home Sharing in the Settings app, and that came up with the message: "Unable to turn on Home Sharing"

:(