iPhone Can't enable personal hotspot

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by martell, Jun 7, 2013.

1. martell macrumors newbie

I unlocked my Iphone 4S using a Gevey ultra sim. I moved to another carrier and everything is working fine except for the personal hotspot. When I try to enable it I get a message saying "To enable Personal Hotspot on this account, contact (previous carrier) I think the phone still thinks its on the old carrier.
    Is there any way to get past this for example is there anything in App store that would create a wifi hotspot. The phone is not jailbroken.

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There are tethering apps that show up from time to time on the AppStore but they get removed within a few hours. Other than that, jailbreaking is probably your only option

Do you know which carrier the phone is locked to?

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

4. martell thread starter macrumors newbie

Its locked to Meteor in Ireland, can't see them helping me seeing as I've left them. :mad:

5. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Can you reinstall the firmware? that might erase previous carrier info.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I agree. I think the menu for hotspot only appears if the carrier info being pushed to the phone allowes it. If your phones carrier data still thinks its on the old one. A fresh restore may work.

7. martell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try a fresh restore and see how I get on.

8. martell thread starter macrumors newbie

Just another question, when I restore it would I need to set up as a new phone to give this the best chance of working.

9. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I suggest so. Make sure you backup ahead of time and then setup as a new phone just to test.

10. martell thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried a fresh restore and set up as a new phone but it didn't make any difference. When I was using the gevey sim to unlock I had to use the original sim in the process so it seems like that's where its getting the original carrier's data from. Looks like I'm stuck with it.:mad:

11. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a