Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planins

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Upon going into Settings -> General -> Spotlight Search, Spotlight suggestions and Bing Web Results are disabled for me, so I cant search the web or get suggestions from Spotlight. When I select them, the next time I open settings they are once more unticked and unavailable for use. Does anyone else have that bug?

Innise

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Yes, and I've heard of others with the same bug.

I wonder if it's something on Apple's side, that they have to activate or something.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I have two iPad Mini Retinas......one I'm experiencing this same thing. The other, they are checked and stay checked....but they just don't work. Doing any sort of search never shows the suggestions.

UPDATE: on the iPad where they stay checked, it's now finally working in the search itself. Almost like it took a while to register. I'm going to try to figure out if I have some setting on the other one causing it not to keep them checked.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I think I have the solution:

The search engine in Safari must be Bing. Then it works fine.

Nope. On the one iPad I have, I have Google set as default and it works. On the other, I set it to Safari and the prefs still won't save.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Without changing any settings.....it's magically working for me.

What I did was swipe down to start a spotlight search and just let it sit there. After a few seconds there was a message about how spotlight can search web etc.

I went back into settings and those two options were checked.

Weird.

-Kevin

qvin

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Having the same issue and can't find a way to fix it. Tried everything already.

Planins

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, it didn't even cross my mind that such features could be restricted to certain countries only, but I guess everything is possible. I also think it is quite misleading from Apple not to put a dialog box telling me it is simply not available for my country (Bulgaria) instead of just allowing me to tick the box and then wonder what disabled it after closing the app...

Anyone please care to elaborate why are Spotlight Suggestions available for only 15 countries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.