Can't enable spotlight suggestions

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Planins, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Planins macrumors member

Planins

Upon going into Settings -> General -> Spotlight Search, Spotlight suggestions and Bing Web Results are disabled for me, so I cant search the web or get suggestions from Spotlight. When I select them, the next time I open settings they are once more unticked and unavailable for use. Does anyone else have that bug?

2. Innise macrumors member

Yes, and I've heard of others with the same bug.

I wonder if it's something on Apple's side, that they have to activate or something.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have two iPad Mini Retinas......one I'm experiencing this same thing. The other, they are checked and stay checked....but they just don't work. Doing any sort of search never shows the suggestions.

UPDATE: on the iPad where they stay checked, it's now finally working in the search itself. Almost like it took a while to register. I'm going to try to figure out if I have some setting on the other one causing it not to keep them checked.

-Kevin

4. unterwarter macrumors newbie

I think I have the solution:

The search engine in Safari must be Bing. Then it works fine.

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Nope. On the one iPad I have, I have Google set as default and it works. On the other, I set it to Safari and the prefs still won't save.

-Kevin

6. fardeenah macrumors regular

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Without changing any settings.....it's magically working for me.

What I did was swipe down to start a spotlight search and just let it sit there. After a few seconds there was a message about how spotlight can search web etc.

I went back into settings and those two options were checked.

Weird.

-Kevin

8. qvin macrumors newbie

Having the same issue and can't find a way to fix it. Tried everything already.

9. Planins thread starter macrumors member

Planins

Yeah, it didn't even cross my mind that such features could be restricted to certain countries only, but I guess everything is possible. I also think it is quite misleading from Apple not to put a dialog box telling me it is simply not available for my country (Bulgaria) instead of just allowing me to tick the box and then wonder what disabled it after closing the app...

Anyone please care to elaborate why are Spotlight Suggestions available for only 15 countries?

10. SurefireObject macrumors member

If it makes you feel any better, that says it's available in my country and it's not working anyway.