can't enter password in terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hengster7, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Hengster7 macrumors newbie

On my computer I am trying to run an uninstallation program that uses terminal. It asks for an administrator password and my administrator account doesn't have a password so I left it bank and hit enter and it said my password was incorrect and I need to try again. I then tried to type the password to another administrator account but it won't let me type anything at all. I know nothing about how terminal works so any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Erdbeertorte Suspended

I think you need to setup a password for the account you are logged in with.

In the system preferences there are some options that can only be changed if you click on this icon:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-12-30 um 22.01.52.png

If you don't have a password it is not able to unlock when you just type in nothing.

3. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you're using an administrator account?

4. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

also, when you type your password in Terminal, nothing is displayed on the screen - no asterisks, no cursor movement, nada. Just type the password and press enter.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

dwfaust is correct - When you are asked to enter a password in the terminal, no characters are displayed as you type in the password.
    There can be some uses for a blank password, so when you see a password request, all you need to do is press enter.
    However, sometimes the blank password is not a good idea, because (as you have discovered), you may find that a blank password is not suitable when a real password (with actual characters) is needed, and a blank cannot work.
    You will find that some parts of the system will not let you use a no-character (blank) password.

Think of it this way - a blank password (no characters) is NOT the same as no password. Even the blank means that you still have a password, it just has no characters. … a-a-and, you can't enter a password that has no characters.
    So, in certain situations (and with some applications) a blank password results in an error - and the only way to correct the error is to add a password for your admin user account.