Can't erase podcasts from Nano.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bobbydenard, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bobbydenard macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I can't erase old podcasts from my Nano. I tried to deselect the old podcasts on Itunes and sync it to my Nano, but that doesn't work because my Ipod is full.

Strangely, I can't find where the podcast are listed on my Nano. While there's a folder for Music and Audiobooks, there's no folder for Podcasts. I've deleted the podcasts that I had imported into a playlist, but that didn't remove the podcasts from the nano.

I'm going nuts, as I know this should be easy to do but I can't figure it out. I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when you guys straighten me out:) .

Thanks for your help.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you on automatic sync, sync playlists, or sync manually? Do you have the "only sync checked songs" option selected? Under the podcasts section, what do you have for the option regarding how many you want to keep on the iPod?

Last ditch option: Plug it in, select what you want to sync in the tabs of the iPod section of iTunes, and then restore the thing. ;)

3. bobbydenard thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried the different options, such as "sync all but 1 unplayed" but I still get the message "Can't sync because your Ipod is full." I've even erased all of the old podcasts from my Itunes library, so it it would just remove the podcasts from my Nano that I have erased from my Itunes library, that would clear up more than enough memory to add the few podcasts that I have left on my Itunes.

Shouldn't there be a folder for Podcasts on the sidebar under my Nano? There is for music and audiobooks. I can find the podcasts manually in my nano, by going to Music>Genres>Podcasts, but I can't do the same thing through Itunes.

Thanks for the reply.

4. bobbydenard thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought of something that may have to do with not being able to erase these old podcasts.

I put them on my Nano by dragging and dropping from this computer, rather using a sync feature.

This may explain why syncing isn't removing them, and I can't add any new podcasts because there's not room.

Still, how can I find them in Itunes under my Nano? As I said, I erased them from the playlist they were in, but as you know that doesn't remove them from the Nano. I need to find the master folder, so to speak, where they are stored.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I see what you're saying now. Yes, that's most likely it. I have never tried manually adding things to an iPod that's synced automatically, so I don't know what that results in. I'd have to go home and look at my iTunes to see where the podcasts might be, though. Have you looked to see if they show up by name / title under any of the other options, so that you could delete them from there?

6. bobbydenard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help and patience.

I've tried the search box on Itunes to find where the podcasts are located but to no avail.

I can find them easily enough on my Nano, under Music>Genres>Podcasts, but the same pathway isn't available on my Itunes.

Is there a way to delete files/songs manually on the Nano? Withough using Itunes? as that would be one fix.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you transferred the podcasts to the iPod by dragging them over when it was set to automatically sync...

- Set the iPod to be manually managed from the first tab in the menus for configuring the ipod that you get when you plug it in. Then see if you can organize the list of songs under the Music entry by title, date added, whatever, and scroll through and find the podcast you added, and delete it. You can't delete it this way unless you're manually managing the iPod. I'm not sure that the search bar works for this, so I think you have to scroll through.

- Enable disk usage in the same menus and then open the iPod in Finder and see if you see the podcasts; if you do, delete them.

- If that doesn't work, you might try a program like iPod Access.

- If that doesn't work, go back to my original suggestion of restoring the iPod.

8. bobbydenard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again,

The first option doesn't work. I can't find them. The podcast don't show up under Music, or under Audiobooks (the only folders besides my playlists.)

I'll try the other methods.

Will restoring erase all my songs?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

From the iPod yes -- but if it's automatically managed, it will immediately sync with the computer again and load all the songs back on again. But anything that is not automatically managed from iTunes will be gone.

10. bobbydenard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm just going to restore it.

I need to reorganize my music selection anyway.