Can't even just jailbreak without problems?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iammike1, Aug 5, 2010.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Why are people so eager to jump on this jailbreak method when simply doing the jailbreak seems to cause so many problems?

If I wanted to hack and slash my way to making everything that's supposed to work...work again, I'd get an Android and hack on it.

2. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

it does? wow, i must have gotten lucky, works great for me..

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I know what you mean. My finger is still wicked sore from that swipe because of having to donut twice. Not to mention my increase usage of my phone, watching movies without the burden of itunes, unrestricted tethering, sbsettings for convenience.
    My phone has become interesting again with the jailbreak. Any issues I have run into and there isn't one significant ones, surely doesn't make me want to resort back to the boring jphone.

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Because a lot of people aren't afraid of putting some work into getting their phone how they want it to be.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Simple as can be, especially this jailbreak. Just takes some time to "mod" your iDevice to get it the way you want it.

No slashing involved.

Sounds like you are just afraid to take the plunge. If so, that's OK. Jailbreaking isn't for the faint of heart.

6. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Well, lets see, currently outstanding issues I hear about include Skype no longer backgrounding unless you do it the jailbreak way which then results in increased battery drain since the entire app is backgrounding....increased battery drain in general, issues with saved state apps, etc.

FFS if I jailbreak, all I want is Cydia and root access to the phone. I don't want to have to meddle in all these other aspects of the phone when I shouldn't need to.

I'm perfectly happy with iOS4's implementation of backgrounding...so why would I want to install the JB method of backgrounding? (as an example)

Me, I'll wait until there is a jailbreak available that doesn't seem to cause so many side effects right off the bat.

7. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Actually, I was jailbroken from the days of the original iPhone up until iOS4...but I've never used a jailbreak that seemed to cause so many other problems.

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

So you're saying that you want to jailbreak???

9. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm saying that I will when there is a jb that does JUST that, jb. It's obvious that not all the bugs have been worked out or else why would a simple jb be interfering with so many other aspects of the phone?

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Here is what I don't understand, why don't people understand why others jailbreak.
    New cars are sold everyday. When they roll off the lot they fulfill their intention. Yet some will spend thousands and thousands on modifying. There is a risk that the vehicle will not run as well as an unmodified one but that's the risk modifiers take to get that much more out if the platform.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Saurik fixed the MobileSubstrate issues causing the Skype problem (if that is what you are referring to).

I'm having no problems, the newest MobileSubstrate and a few others have corrected all the issues.

Fixing issues is half the fun of jailbreaking. After all, when you hack into an electronic device, take a few tries to get it all perfect.

This is the 3rd model of iDevice I have modified (3G, 3Gs, iPhone 4) for myself, my wife and anyone else who needed help, and the easiest yet (in my opinion) Your might be different.

12. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Read my post more carefully. I fully understand why people jailbreak...I myself jailbreak.

What I don't understand is why everyone is so eager to jump on THIS jailbreak method because it seems to be jacking with a lot of other ****.

All a JB should need to do is grant root access and install Cydia.

13. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

If you think it's so bug ridden and so imperfect then please develop it yourself free of charge and release to the millions. :rolleyes:

I myself have no problems, like others - there is nothing wrong with this Jailbreak Method, if there are any bugs - it's because it's a new Update and happens every Release Cycle (2x,3x etc).

14. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I hadn't seen any mention of the Skype issue being fixed. I was also under the understanding that the Skype issue and the saved state issues were happening immediately after jailbreak...not after installing something which needed MobileSubstrate.

There are only a few things i want from a JB on iOS4.

1. Folders to hold more then 12 (forgot the name of the program)
    2. Notification icons on Status Bar
    3. Google Voice (heard there might be some problems there at the moment)

iOS4 and 3G over Skype took care of a lot of the reasons I jailbroke in the past.

15. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Oh come on, that's a cop out. Maybe if I was complaining because something wasn't getting released fast enough that would apply.

I'm patient enough to wait, hence my phone not being jailbroken at the moment. I was simply asking a question.

16. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

what are these problems associated with this jailbreak? I have had none, the guy beside he has had none and my brother in-law has had none. Are we the lucky minority or are we the minority that doesn't install every possible thing they can find in cydia?