Can't expand window by dragging where dock is

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fynbo, Mar 13, 2016.

1. fynbo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I realize this is a minor issue, but my brain absolutely hates this problem.

I have my dock on my Mac hidden until I hover over it with my mouse. However, even though the dock is hidden, I can't resize my window to completely fill the screen to the side where my dock is (to the left).

So, to have a window fill the ENTIRE screen, I need to move the window so the edge of the window aligns with the screen edge where my dock is, and THEN resize it by dragging it to the opposite side.

Can anyone help me out with this. It's super frustrating to always being able to see a bit of the background.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What is your OS version? In El Capitan, I just moved my Dock to the left and expanded Safari to full screen and it fills the entire screen. I cannot see any of the Desktop background, and I don't like that at all. Wish I could get it to do what you're describing.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Works fine here. Does this happen in all apps?

4. fynbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys

Thanks for your quick replies. The window isn't in 'full screen' mode. But when I expand the window by dragging it, it can't get right to the edge of the screen to the side where the dock is.

My OS is 10.11.1, but the problem has been there ever since I got the mac a few years ago.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

I've never seen this odd behavior. Perhaps a picture would help. But first you should update your OS to the current version.

6. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I have the exact behaviour you've described. I don't think you can change it other than placing the dock on the side of the screen unfortunately.

7. fynbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a picture, guys.

Look to the left of the window. There you will see a small line of the dashboard background image.

I can't resize the window by dragging beyond that small line. I can only make the window go right to the edge of the screen if I move it instead of resizing.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2016 ---
    And I also discovered that there's always a very small line between the top of any given window and the menu bar where you can see a bit of whatever is behind the window.

It really is a bit frustrating.

Attached Files:

8. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I get this too but it seems random when it happens. Try deleting the .DS_ file of your... Desktop?

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Got around to testing this. I get the same thing, no matter where the Dock is. I think the Dock needs that "real estate" to function. So I think the only solution is to use full screen mode. If you hold down Option while clicking the green dot, the menu is not covered, in many applications (doesn't work for Office 2011). I think that's new in El Cap.