Can't export illustrator job as ai file!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by steve18, May 15, 2009.

1. steve18 macrumors newbie

Any ideas why?

Want to export just the A4 image area (bleeds off all sides) but can't work out how to do it. ai option isn't in the list of export formats.
    New to Illustrator so basic info please!

Thanks for any replies.

Illustrator CS3, 10.5.6, G5 dual 1.8

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I believe you can only do a "save as" for an .ai file

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Simply saving it produces an .ai file. Thats what .ai stands for (Adobe Illustrator). No need to export. Exporting is for other file formats.

4. steve18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some things are that simple!

Why, when I open up the file, do I see all the surrounding workspace as well?
    I just want the finished image cropped to A4.

Thanks for the quick replies.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Probably because we dont have computers that are able to display 'absolute nothing' just yet. :rolleyes:

Do you mean your document bleeds off the edge of the paper? Then you will have to manually crop it. But be warned because when you go to print you will most likely get white margins around your paper. This is why 'bleed' is used; to prevent white borders.

6. DesignerGenes macrumors member

I think that you are referring to the gray area outside the artboard? It's not like photoshop, where there is an image area, Illustrator just gives you more "room" to work outside the actual document area. Just hit command 0 to fit the artboard to your window if all that extra space bothers you.

7. steve18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate your reply. What I'm after is a .ai file with just the A4 image (full A4). What I don't want is all the surrounding stuff outside the image area. Is there a way to delete this before I send it to the client?
    I know I'm sounding like a teenager but I am a graphic designer that has never needed to use Illustrator. I understand about bleeds for printing and don't need them for this job.
    Thanks for the reply.

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Export it or save it as a PDF. When viewed as a PDF it will be "cropped". If you absolutely need a .ai file, you'll have to save as a new .ai file and delete everything outside of the box.

9. DesignerGenes macrumors member

As long as you are going to send them an .ai file you wont be able to get rid of it. If you save/print it as a pdf then the pasteboard wont show up, but any .ai or .eps file will always show the pasteboard as far as i know.

Outputting/printing from an illustrator file will not include the pasteboard, just the size of your artboard. If you need to change the size of the artboard you should be able to do that by going into the document setup in the file menu.

10. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Draw a box around the live area. Make sure it's on top.

Select all (Command+a)

Go to Object -> Clipping Mask -> Make
    (Or Command+7)

That should do it.

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What size is your document right now? If it's not an A4 size, go to File >Document Setup. Then either mask the document or make crop marks Object > Crop Area > Make. :)

12. steve18 thread starter macrumors newbie

The clipping mask did it, thanks SwiftLives.
    I'm a Quark veteran and some of the menus in Ill are alien to me.
    Also, thanks for all replies, I'm sure I'll be back!