Can't export mp3s with Audacity

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steamboat26, Jul 19, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

In my continuing saga of stuff i can't figure out how to do, I don't know how to export .mp3 files from audacity. The program says you need a third party application (LAME) to export and save it. It then tells me to find libmp3lame.dylib. When i find that folder, there's nothing i can run inside the folders. What am I doing wrong?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can get LAME here: http://lame.sourceforge.net/index.php
    If you have the developer tools installed, you can compile the source yourself. It really isn't that hard to do - open Terminal, cd to the directory the source files live in (easiest way is to type cd, then a space, then drag the folder into the Terminal window), then type the following commands:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    There are also LAME binaries available for Mac OS X users, though I don't know off-hand where to get one.

3. fecccu, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015

fecccu macrumors newbie

fecccu

How to install mp3 and FFmpeg Libraries for Audacity on Mac OS X (El Capitan):

After installing Audacity in your Mac:

Download the Libraries:
    1. Open Audacity
    2. Click Audacity > Preferences then choose "Libraries" on the left. The program shows the option to download both libraries.
    3. Download them.

Install libraries:

MP3:
    First try to install the library you downloaded. If it does not work, Then, search for libmp3lame.dylib library on internet and download it to your MAC. There are several places where you can find it and follow the instructions bellow:

1. Go to the Audacity folder at Macintosh HD/Applications/plug-ins
    2. Drag the libmp3lame.dylib file into that folder
    3. Click Audacity > Preferences then choose "Libraries" on the left.
    4. Click "Locate..." under "MP3 Export Library", then "Browse..." in the "Locate Lame" dialog.
    5. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Applications/plug-ins and select "libmp3lame.dylib", click "Open" then "OK" and "OK".

FFmpeg:

Follow the same steps for this library.

Enjoy!!!!