Can't extend extreme wifi with express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by forgetcolor, Dec 20, 2013.

1. forgetcolor macrumors member

I've got a 4th gen extreme and a current-gen express. I want to use the express to extend the wireless network of the extreme. I've got it on the same SSID, same password, etc. Yet I get 'Unable to extend wireless network' from the express.

I have the express plugged in to the extreme (LAN port on the extreme to the WAN port on the express). A client plugged into the express via its LAN port is working fine.

Am I not able to extend via a wired connection? It would seem to defeat the purpose of extension if so. But I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

2. Bruno09, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

There is some confusion here.

"Extend a wireless network" means extend the network wirelessly.

This is not what you want to do.

If you have the Express hard wired to the Extreme, you must set the Express up as follows :

- "create a wireless network"

- same SSID, password, security type (WPA2)

- channels : both devices on "auto", or choose manually 2 different channels (1-6 or 6-10, or 3-8, etc… to avoid overlapping).

3. forgetcolor thread starter macrumors member

perfect, thx. so it looks like the clients will then auto-select the best option between the two base stations?

4. Bruno09, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Exactly. The client will automatically choose the access point (Extreme or Express) it gets the best signal from.

You have created a "roaming" network.

Have a look here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260