Can't Feel Taptic - Easy Way To Test?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AndyGarton, Jun 11, 2015.

1. AndyGarton macrumors member

Hi all, I've yet to feel a taptic notification on my stainless steel Apple Watch. I did feel something when the watch was first pairing or setting up (a short sequence of pulses), but nothing since. I have the taptic strength at the maximum and the "prominent" setting turned on. I'm wonder if I just have a numb wrist (!), or if there is a problem with my watch. Does anybody else find similar? Is there a way to force a taptic pulse/notification so I can more easily see if it's working or not?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

2. makotoisle macrumors 6502

If you change the strength setting in the companion app, the watch should "tap" to confirm. This way you can change between all three settings and the watch should "tap" at each setting so you can compare them or see if they are working at all.

3. AndyGarton thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, you say "should", is that definite? Because I've just tried it (from both the iPhone app and on the watch itself), and I feel nothing. So it's broken then? :(

4. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Maybe somebody else can chime in, but that's how it works on mine. I keep mine on the strongest setting, but if I turn it to medium, I get a weaker "tap". If I turn it to low, I get an even weaker "tap".

It's almost like it's confirming your choice by giving you a preview of what it's going to feel like. I'd say yours sounds broken.

5. AndyGarton thread starter macrumors member

Well, what do you know - I tried the usual "reboot it" solution, and it's now working exactly as you describe, at least for now. I'll keep an eye on it clearly...

6. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Great to hear that yours is working properly now!

7. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

One note - turn the sound right down to really test.

It is incredibly sneaky how much of the percieved impact of the taptic is from the clever sound they use.

When I tried it in the store on my finger (not on wrist), it felt like a super powerful THWACK. In hindsight, at least half of the sensation was the SNICK sound it made. Fools your brain!

8. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I think this is accurate. I usually don't have a problem feeling mine... Except one time I accidentally put it on Silent mode, then my taps felt extremely weak and broken. Turned silent mode off and it felt back to normal...

Weird.

9. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

FWIW, my wife and I both notice this behaviour. I just restart my watch every morning when I put it on. It's not like that will wear it out or an inconvenience or anything. Haven't had the issue since. It's not something that I would keep an eye on, just seems like a pairing gets disconbobulated somewhere and is easily remedied. More important things to focus on and all that ......

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

About the only time I felt mine was when I adjusted it with the app. If up and moving around I hardly ever felt the tap. Worst is unless I am in a somewhat quiet environment, I can not hear the little ding either!

The above is why I returned my watch as it was not serving the purpose I purchased it for. Back to my $250 FitBit Surge which does way better on heart rate and there is no doubt when it vibrates to tell you that you have an email or text.

11. RAD1 macrumors newbie

I was hoping the Taptic feedback would be pronounced.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Mine was not. I even tried a friends to see if his was better and it was not.

13. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

14. MartinSk macrumors member

Just use the digital crown to scroll 'too far' in an app such as messages.

It should tap you to tell you that you can't go any further.

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Thanks for clarifying that. I keep getting those terms mixed up when I'm trying to make a post about haptic feedback.

Mine was really strong when I first got the watch. I can't be sure but I think it's diminished over time. It's either that or my skin has gotten less sensitive from wearing the watch all the time. I have had to reboot a lot to keep it working at all.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

That's peculiar. Neither my wife or I have ever had the taps fail to work. Rebooting the Watch every morning is ridiculous. I'm not saying that to be insulting - but that's ridiculous. It should work, period.

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

In my case I'm not sure the need to reboot a lot is the fault of the watch or the phone. My iPhone has been weird from the beginning and I regret not exchanging it when I could. I just dropped it yesterday and smashed the screen to pieces and want to use my insurance to get a refurb but husband wants to just replace the screen so I'll still be stuck with this wonky iPhone. I'm just hoping dropping it knocked some sense into it. ;)

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I just got an Apple Watch (42mm sport) so I'm a little late to the party. I am finding the "taps" to be a little weak. I have Prominent Haptic turned on and that vibration is the only way I ever notice text messages. When I test the taps by changing the setting I find that medium and high are essentially the same, no relevant difference in my opinion. And when I set it to low the watch makes an audible tap but nothing to feel on my wrist. Is that how it's supposed to be for the low setting?

19. 3568358 macrumors 6502

For the most part I do usually feel the topics, but a good 20% of the time I don't notice them. not sure if they just get weaker sometimes for some unknown reason or what.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I found very little difference no matter what setting. All of these haptic motors are not the same and you might have got a weaker one. I had to replace three watches due to the haptic motors not working well and the 2nd stopped working . My 3rd watch is really strong and I miss the notifications very seldom.

21. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

When I'm cooking at the stove and the haptic alert goes off, I sometimes think it's an electric shock. Disconcerting, but definitely gets my attention!

(And I've been waiting for years for "haptic" to be more widely used . . . .)

22. parrot5 macrumors 6502

As long as the watch fits snugly I can feel the taps 100% of the time. Then it's loose it's maybe 80%

23. mfram macrumors 65816

In my case, I thought the haptic feedback was not noticeable. Then I loosened my band and the taps were much more pronounced. Experiment making the band less snug and more snug to see if that changes the amount of tapping you feel.