Can't figure a way out how to get Win 10 on MacBook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by naujoks, Jul 31, 2015.

1. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

As far as I understand, Bootcamp on the 2015 Macbook only works with Win 8.1

I have plenty of legal keys for Win 7 and Win 8, but none for Win 8.1.

Can anyone think of a way of getting Win 10 legally on the machine? I don't want to pay £99.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

First, you need to install a version of windows 7 which matches the key you have.

Second, activate that copy of windows.

Then, download windows 10 or Windows 10 professional from Microsoft site.

And try upgrading.

3. Saudumm macrumors newbie

Saudumm

You can try to download a Windows 8.1 setup with your Windows 8 key using this tutorial: http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

You should be able to install Windows 8.1 on your MacBook, activate it using your Windows 8 key and then perform the upgrade to Windows 10 (once that's done, I recommend to clean reinstall the Boot Camp drivers)
    And don't forget to install this updated camera driver in Windows 8.1, otherwise the upgrade might fail: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1831?locale=en_US

4. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

Thank you, I'll give that a go.
    In the meantime I played around with this a bit and encountered another problem:
    The trackpad and keyboard are not working during the Windows installer. I don't have an external mouse or keyboard to connect, so I can't progress.
    I do remember that being a problem before, but for some reason there was a different install mode, during which the screen resolution wasn't so small and the keyboard and trackpad were working, but I don't know how to get into that mode. The last two times when I let Bootcamp Assistant restart the Macbook it went in to the "wrong" mode, and pressing the ALT key during boot also doesn't go in to the right one...

5. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

The proper mode is the one tagged with EFI.

When you choose start up disk during boot, you should find the yellow disk with EFI tagged. This would render screen resolution correctly since it will load some basic drivers when loading windows pe.