cant figure out displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedudester12, Jul 19, 2012.

1. thedudester12 macrumors newbie

hey sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot but i honestly dont know where else to put it.

I got a mac book pro when i graduated (class of 11) and i just bought myself a 64 inch JVC HDTV. In an effort to save some money i went on ebay and bought a generic cable that went from my thunderbolt port to my HDMI hookups to connect them to stream netflix, youtube, facebook news feed, basically turn out a massive monitor.

unfortunately it doesn't work. well it works for a little bit but than the tv image starts to refresh and than my computer starts to refresh.

basically what i would like to know is why it is doing this and how can i keep it from doing this?:confused:

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Mini display port/thunderbolt ----to--- HDMI cables have pretty lengthy history of not working properly. The $35 moshi one I bought from my Apple store worked for 3 months and then stopped working. The rocket fish one I brought from best buy worked 5 times and now no longer transfers audio.

These cables have awful reviews, some work some don't. Best suggestion, send it back or buy another one. There is really nothing more you can do. These cables are just pure crap imo.

3. thedudester12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's great to know i just wasted 3 dollars on a cable. So now the question is how can a teenager making minimum wage with only about twenty budgeted dollars for spending money connect his tv to his computer?

But I'm still not convinced its the cables fault because it work perfectly until the tv starts flashing blue and than the picture on both the tv and the computer resets and it works fine for another couple minutes and it does it again.

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Just get an HDMI cable with an HDMI->mDP adaptor. Works perfectly with my MBP.

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

A little pricier but a much more elegant solution is to get an Apple TV and a new feature in ML allows you to wirelessly share your screen. ML is due in the next 10 days. I don't know if you'd be willing to spend that much, but the Apple TV itself is a pretty cool piece of technology.

6. thedudester12 thread starter macrumors newbie

so it is the cables fault that it keeps re setting the picture?

and trey: its not the will power that's the problem with having an apple tv. . . i only have about a hundred dollars a month extra for spending money and that's about what I'm paying for the tv.