Can't figure out "properties"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Warrazapha, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Warrazapha macrumors newbie

I'm using the Crossover app to run an old game called Everquest. I want to play on an emulated server, and there are a couple steps needed before you can login to the server. This is the one I'm having trouble figuring out how to do:

Step 5 - Creating Shortcut
    Now, you will need to create a shortcut to launch EverQuest and bypass the EQLive patcher (if this step is not taken, you will launch the patcher and overwrite the EQHost.txt file that you just modified, making you connect to the global EQLive Login Server). To do this, go into your EverQuest directory. Locate the EQGAME.EXE file. Right-click on the file and select "Create Shortcut." You can rename this shortcut and drag it anywhere you'd like (most people like to put it on their desktop). Now, right-click that shortcut and select Properties. In the target box, you will see the path to the eqgame.exe file. We need to edit this so that it will pass an argument to that executable when the shortcut is launched. At the end of the text box (after any parenthases), add "patchme" (no quotes). Your target box should look similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

I'm using control click, which brings up a menu similar to the one on my PC but how would I go about finishing this step on this Macbook? Everything is up to date and the OS I'm using is the most recent one.

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I'm sorry, you are trying to follow these steps in OS X? These are instructions for Windows. These types of command line alterations to Windows shortcuts almost certainly will not work using Crossover emulation. Sounds like you need Bootcamp or Parallels/VM Ware Fusion.

3. SimonJ macrumors regular

I believe I can shed some light on this.

First you need to know where your game is installed. In Crossover go to Configure > Manage Bottles... and select the bottle you installed Everquest in (the name of the bottle should be the same as the name of the cd/dvd you installed the game from). Next go to Advanced and click on "Open C: Drive in Finder". In the Finder window that appears, go to Program Files and then find the Everquest folder (don't know the exact name here as I don't own the game) and inside find the EQGAME.EXE that the instructions are referring to.

Now go back to Crossover and choose Programs > Run Command. Select the appropriate bottle from the Use Bottle drop-down menu. Now here's the important part: click the "Browse" button and drag EQGAME.EXE from the Finder window onto the file browser that appears. Click open. The text field next to "Command" should now be filled with the address of EQGAME.EXE file. Now just add your "patchme" after the quotes. Click run.

That should do it.