Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I noticed today a new icon on the top menubar, next to the Bluetooth icon?

photo.PNG

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's TTY. I think it has to do with helping those with hard of hearing or the deaf. Not really sure. I think the switch for it is in the Phone part of the Settings app.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's TTY. I think it has to do with helping those with hard of hearing or the deaf. Not really sure. I think the switch for it is in the Phone part of the Settings app.

Correct. Go to Settings>Phone and there will be a switch for TTY. Just tap on it and it will go away.

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
This is as bad as the dude who thought he got a 3g iphone because next to the AT&T logo it said 3g. He swore he bought a Iphone4g.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Just info for future use. The manual is accessible on line and will answer lots of these strange questions new owners might have (and upgraders as well, whom may never have seen this before). Somewhat wish Apple would have included a quick users guide or something as this would have helped lots of new owners out quite a bit.

Vinnie Madrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
HowELL, NJ
This is as bad as the dude who thought he got a 3g iphone because next to the AT&T logo it said 3g. He swore he bought a Iphone4g.

i wouldn't go that far. i had no idea what that icon was for either. i'm not hearing disabled, and i've never known anyone who is. hell, i don't even know what TTY stand for LoL

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
It stands for TeleTYpe. A type of transmission that helps the deaf communicate over phone lines with other people. It aids in transcribing voice into text and the reverse for equipped devices. Not sure if anything else is necessary to get it fully working on the iPhone, but that is the rough info.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
ugh im just going to be nice and retract my comment. try google next time.

I was going to make fun of you by saying "What is he supposed to search for? Strange Icon iPhone?" Then I googled it myself first and there it was on the first link.

Either way, I don't think it was a bad question to ask on the forum.

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
Correct. Go to Settings>Phone and there will be a switch for TTY. Just tap on it and it will go away.
Interesting. Could this be phone model or carrier/plan dependent? Because my 3G on Fido (Canada) doesn't have such a setting under Settings > Phone. And I'm running iOS 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.