Cant file share between ppc and intel.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Intelligent, May 19, 2014.

1. Intelligent, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I have been doing this since 2006 and all of a sudden it just says "Couldn't something" when trying to file share, i have backed the whole system up, restored it, reset pram, reset internet settings and it still just says that. I need to use powerpc but i can't share the files.
    This is the exact error "authentication to "name of computer" failed".
    Make sure that you have entered the right username and password, i have copied the exact details that i use to login.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

What are the 2 Macs being used, and what OS are they both running? Big difference between say a PowerMac G5 with Leopard not being able to share with an Intel iMac running Tiger and something like a PowerBook 3400 running 8.6 and a Mac Mini running Mavricks.

3. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Intel is Running OS X 10.9.3, PowerMac G5 running Mac OS X 10.4 it worked up until today.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go to :apple: --> System Preferences --> Sharing on both Macs and make sure File Sharing is enabled on both. Then try to connect to one using the dedicate Short Name on the other Mac. For instance, if your home folder on your PowerMac is JohnSmith and your home folder on the Intel is JohnnyBoy, please ensure that the proper case sensitive home folder or full name is entered.

Also, ensure that on the Intel it is not trying to authenticate using the Apple ID. That is not supported on Leopard.

5. Intelligent, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I am not using Apple ID, and I'm not running leopard either.
    File Sharing was not turned on on my intel computer so i will try if that works. I dont see why it would because it has worked without having file sharing turned on on the computer I'm sending files from. It should give me a warning about file sharing not just "failed".

6. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Are you quite sure that it worked up until yesterday? Were you running 10.9.3 as a beta or did you wait for the public release? I ask because it was public released on the 15th, which was just a few days ago. If you were on a lower version of 10.9 before then that would be the first place to look, IMO.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very good point. I eagerly await to see if 10.9.3 caused any issues in that regard.