Can't find a smartwatch with all the features I want. Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ayr, May 2, 2014.

1. Ayr macrumors 6502

I've been searching for a smartwatch even though I know Apple are probably about to drop one - I don't think the iWatch will be aimed at users like me :(.

I want

GPS
    MP3 player
    Bluetooth (definitely no headphone jack)
    Ability to sync data to Strava (3rd party site connectivity)
    Waterproof
    Heart Rate Monitor (preferable but not essential like the rest)

The closest I found so far was the Adidas miCoach but it has no 3rd party connectivity - which is bizarre considering the sports environment right now (every man and his dog is on Runkeeper, Strava etc with their friends, no one will leave that).

Is there anything out there I can buy? Seems to be loads of smartwatches, but none of them have the basic things I want in one package. iPhone does it all perfectly fine, which is what I use now - but it's bulk that I want to lose on runs.

iWatch will be great in some way I'm certain but I think they will be doing some Nike software proprietary effort and try to compete with Strava and other sites. Probably no GPS either.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I think you are too advanced for current product lines.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The iWatch will likely have GPS, and will likely be able to sync with Bluetooth. The rumored Healthbook app will likely be able to do things apps like Strava do, as far as tracking runs, etc.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Are you looking for a self-contained SmartWatch?

I would imagine most of that stuff will/should be available once the Google Wearables SDK takes off and devices start shipping using that environment. The issue seems to be that you want the WATCH to be your music player when in reality it'll control the music player on your phone, or you want it to be able to acquire a GPS signal for mapping when in reality you'll be able to see the maps displayed on the watch using your phone as the source. I would expect Strava would link to the Wearables capabilities to display info on the watch, but that will have to wait until the devices release.

I agree with "Southern Dad", your perception of smartwatch capabilities may be too advanced for what's out there. Right now, the concept is that it's a secondary display (and possibly control device) for information/apps from/on your phone and requires connectivity to that device in order to perform most functions.

BTW, I imagine most smartwatches will connect to the phone with bluetooth so that will be there but won't be the device you think it is.

5. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure ?

Acquiring and processing GPS signals takes quite a bit of processing power.
    I'm not sure the battery of an iWatch is going to be able to support that extra energy.

Besides, what would you use the GPS signal for ?
    Relative movement (vertically and horizontally) might be covered by accelerometers.

I doubt the iwatch is going to have maps and turn-by-turn guidance.

-t

6. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

You can't have it all in one product. It doesn't exist yet.

But buy a Forerunner 310XT (or a similar/better watch depending on your budget) and a Shuffle.

310XT:
    - GPS
    - Heart rate monitor
    - Waterproof
    - Syncing to Strava

Shuffle:
    - MP3

310XT+Shuffle = $250

It'll be much lighter and less bulky than carrying a phone.

----------

If it really is going to be as health-oriented as the rumors says, people would carry it when they run, bike, etc. and then it really need a GPS to track the routes.

7. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I think you (and others) confuse health-oriented with sports-oriented.

-t

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I believe that we are going to be looking at watches that enhance our smartphones not work independent of them. I love the features of my Pebble but long for the iWatch. Yes, I am a fanboy.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I want an smart watch just technology become a part of me. This is why I want an iWatch super bad. It would just be awesome.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You and me both but I'll use the Pebble for now.

11. Ayr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys. Have a tiny bit of hope for tomorrow. :)

12. Imaginator macrumors regular

Ha ha, not gonna happen dude.

13. APlotdevice, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As will I. In fact I'm not so sure I will be interested in switching to an iWatch, since Apple will likely opt for a "vivid", non-persistent display like we see in Gear. Nevermind how impractical this is for a watch.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But if it is an iWatch we know that it will work with our Macs, iPads, iPhones and of course, iCloud.

15. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

just wait.... tomorrow might be the day of the watch!!! WWDC!!!

16. Tom.Molyn macrumors newbie

I had a Motorola Motoactiv which didn't have nearly this functionality at first...

It was android though so:
    I was able to Root it
    Install a custom launcher
    Install google maps(with GPS support)
    Install pandora
    Install Play Music
    Browse the web
    Wifi/bluetooth connectivity

i thought it was water resistant :( unfortunately for me it was too late before I discovered that i shouldn't have used it while washing my hands.
    I then discovered that there are ways to waterproof your device by spraying on Hydrophobic materials that come in Arosoll cans!
    I've seen an example done on an iPhone that was submerged in water for 30 minutes successfully!

no heart rate monitor though