Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Wow, great find. I'll get my friend that link asap.

I notice the "additional cooling recommended" tag. I mod'ed my friends case to add two 80mm fans to the back for exhaust, but do you think it will need better intake?

Thanks

No idea on the G4 tower cooling. I've never seen the inside of one.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Wow, great find. I'll get my friend that link asap.

I notice the "additional cooling recommended" tag. I mod'ed my friends case to add two 80mm fans to the back for exhaust, but do you think it will need better intake?

Thanks

Those cards do generate quite a bit of heat. When that G4 was designed the video cards used by Apple did not use as much energy nor generate as much heat as current cards so you should check your exhaust temperature if you use a card like that. Also you could run into power supply problems if you have a bunch of upgrades in that case. Like most manufacturers Apple loved using low wattage power supplies.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Those cards do generate quite a bit of heat. When that G4 was designed the video cards used by Apple did not use as much energy nor generate as much heat as current cards so you should check your exhaust temperature if you use a card like that. Also you could run into power supply problems if you have a bunch of upgrades in that case. Like most manufacturers Apple loved using low wattage power supplies.

I know it has like, a 400 watt power supply. And that's what the recommended specs on the card (ebay- 7800) say.

But they say to use a slot cooler. And I was wondering if the two 80mm fans work in place of the slot cooler. I would think they do, but I have never used a slot cooler, so I wasn't sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.