Can't find all the video on a DVD for MPEG Streamclip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PostShawn, Apr 4, 2007.

1. PostShawn macrumors newbie

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Let me start by a quick explanation of what I am doing. First off I am a pro video editor (work on TV stuff in Los Angeles). I am not trying to rip anything copyrighted, so please no lectures on that. The material I am working with is for a friend of mine who is a standup comedian and is video of him on a DVD burned by someone else. This is the only copy he has of this gig and he really wants to use a bite from it.

So I am trying to rip the video from the DVD to my hard drive using MPEG Streamclip. I am using FCP to edit but that is past this part. I look in the DVD VIDEO_TS folder and see three .VOB files. The first one is just the menu. The second one is 0.kb in size. The third one is only 138mb in size and has a 3 minute clip. I am able to rip that 3 minute clip and get a good quicktime to work with. My problem is that is the last 3 minutes of 25 minutes that is on there. When I just play the DVD in a player there is a full 25 minutes from start to finish.

So where is the rest of this video on the DVD?

There are three folders on the dvd; VIDEO_TS, ZRIND, & ZTEMP.
    - The VIDEO_TS has the three VOB files along with a couple IFO files and BUP files. All files are 0.kb - 32.kb, except for the on 138.mb file.
    - The ZRIND folder has nothing in it.
    - The ZTEMP folder has a file called DVDV_REC.IRS and that is it.

So I don't know where to find this other video on this disc. It must be somewhere if I can play it fine as a DVD. I can go to an a post facility I work at and just record into the computer but it will be a while before I can get down there right now and don't want to pay for that to be done elsewhere. We are trying to wrap up this little video we are making in the next week and would really like to find the rest of this video. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I would rip it with mactheripper first... then read from the videots folder MTR creates.

3. PostShawn thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried MTR and it sometimes sees the disk and sometimes doesn't. It never acutally displays the info though. And always if I try anything like even switching to Mode or anything like that it just crashes the program. I downloaded it fresh (2.6.6) and it does the same thing. Something is up with this disc.

I think I am going to have to make time to go to the office and get this done by recording straight to FCP. An office I work at has a deck and has a DVD player inputed to the computer. I'm going to give these programs a go with some DVDs I know should work tomorrow just to see if they are working, then I know something is up with this disc.

Thanks and still accepting any suggestions.
    -Shawn