Can't find any info for my particular 3GS JB problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yourwiseguy, Nov 23, 2010.

1. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I am kinda lost right now on how to upgrade my 3GS, given my particular situation. I have done a few Google/forum searches but can't find people with my specific problem.

I recently upgraded my iPhone 3GS from 4.0 to 4.1. As you all know, this upgraded my baseband to 5.14 and I have since been unable to use my phone with my Tmobile SIM card. When I first did it I freaked out and used my backed up SHSH Blob to downgrade the device to 4.0 software, thinking it would downgrade my baseband as well. Of course, it did not.

As it stands, I have my iPhone 3GS running on iOS 4.0 with baseband 5.14 and jailbroken through jailbreakme.com. I would like to upgrade to 4.2 software using redsn0w so that when the new unlock comes out I will be ready to go. Can anyone help me with my predicament? I am seriously afraid to do anything in fear that I will hurt my chances of using my iPhone again with Tmobile.

Thank you in advance! :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do no update to 4.2 yet.
    Wait till we hear further from the Dev Team.
    Stop rushing into things, this is what got you into losing your unlock in the first place.
    When you have a Jb and unlocked iphone on unofficial carrier you have to be very very carefull cause you might be stuck without a phone for a long time.
    Read, read and ask questions first before you update your firmware.

3. yourwiseguy thread starter macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Thanks for the reply. I guess you're right, rushing into the update is what screwed me in the first place. As long as I have my iPhone working on Tmobile I'll just be happy with what I have! :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, hope you learned how things are done with JB and unlocked iphones.
    The unlock is not forever and each time you update to official firmware you will lose it.
    From the Dev Teams site: With Turkey Day a few days off, today Apple publicly released FW version 4.2.1. As always, ultrasn0w unlockers please stay far far away from this official firmware (and all official firmware). Wait for the ability to create custom 4.2.1. IPSWs that don’t update your baseband!

Keep an eye on their site for more details on when the new unlock is out and what you need to do in order to apply it without problems.
    Baseband updates are irreversible so if you screw up once you might be stuck waiting for a long time again.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

FYI: 4.2.1 also has a higher baseband. Applejuiced's advice is the best for any unlocker.
    Next time you want to upgrade, read the tweets of the devteam and musclenerd first. Also, stay abreast of what's going on. If all else fails, ask.