Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I assume the ones with most complications but is there one that is the least battery hog? And does having weather/rain/AQI really drain battery the most since it’s always checking GPS?

having certain watch faces in your choices even when not being used affect battery? image.jpg

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The more OLED's pixels lite the more power it uses and white uses the most since it requires all 3 sub pixels. So the new Meridian (white) will use the most power.

IMG_2419.jpeg

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
The more OLED's pixels lite the more power it uses and white uses the most since it requires all 3 sub pixels. So the new Meridian (white) will use the most power.

View attachment 874341

Ok, so the darker the better. I heard colors too help suck it down more. Any info on having weather complications?

so would the white face suck down more than the color one? 5993A17E-78AE-49F7-AFFF-DDEABB8E9A39.jpeg 53123ED3-0F1F-42F9-9125-59FA7DFDCF03.jpeg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Ok, so the darker the better. I heard colors too help suck it down more. Any info on having weather complications?

so would the white face suck down more than the color one? View attachment 874354 View attachment 874355

With that setup you’ll be fine. Even with the white background you’re not really using most of the screen real estate. Don’t worry so much about battery life. As long as it lasts the whole day you’re good. Just put it on charge when needed. Apple Watch in general is not made for going on week long camping trip without any charging options.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...so would the white face suck down more than the color one?
Usually yes. White is all 3 sub pixels (Red/Green/Blue) on at once. Red would just be red sub pixel so ABOUT ⅓ less power used. But to paraphrase akash.nu don't over think it and just use. If not getting a full day then start to look at ways to save power.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
With that setup you’ll be fine. Even with the white background you’re not really using most of the screen real estate. Don’t worry so much about battery life. As long as it lasts the whole day you’re good. Just put it on charge when needed. Apple Watch in general is not made for going on week long camping trip without any charging options.

that’s the thing it’s not lasting all day. Why I need to know these things. It goes from lasting to not. It’s weird

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
that’s the thing it’s not lasting all day. Why I need to know these things. It goes from lasting to not. It’s weird

Really?! That’s weird. Possibly a reset might help?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Really?! That’s weird. Possibly a reset might help?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did try that but before 6.1 update. But I’m weary cause I lost all activity data. Had to start over and Apple couldn’t figure it out..:(

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i use california, with the blue backgound. And always on display is on

yesterday I was about 50% at the end of the day. That number has greatly improved compared to before the 6.1 upgrade.

not sure why, but battery life seems to be a bit worse for a day or 2 after OS updates, so depending on when you upgraded, you might want to give it a little time.

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
FWIW I did an apple watch session while waiting for my husband who was buying a new MacBook Pro and transferring data from a back-up. I'd had the watch for almost a year at the time so was familiar with most of it, but had the same question about watch faces not in use sapping battery, and the answer was no, the other faces aren't using battery, only the one currently running.

Reactions: Mercenary
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.