Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
According to the help file, it's found "in the utilities folder in the applications folder" but it's just not there. I have the newly updated macbook that I bought today, pre-loaded with Leopard. I was under the impression that it's a part of Leopard, and that I don't have to download it. Isn't that right? Thanks for your help.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I see it on mine:

Finder > Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant

Try doing a Spotlight search.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I did. Definitely not there. How weird is that? It's brand new, straight out of the box 20 minutes ago. And I ran the software update, so my OS is up to date. What should I do?

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
One of the replies to the Apple Support threads reports that a user took theirs back, tried replacing the MacBook with another but they were all missing Boot Camp, so he had the tech do an install of Leopard from a regular Leopard disc.

Aside from that, you could try a program called Pacifist and dig around to see if Boot Camp even exists on your install disc: http://www.charlessoft.com/.

(Edit) I would expect that Apple will at least acknowledge if not address this issue tomorrow. Seems like kind of a hard thing to ignore.

megawatt

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Same problem here. Just bought a MacBook from the Apple store yesterday, and I need boot camp for academic purposes. It's not there.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I re-installed leopard with the restore CDs and that fixed it. only took an hour

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
First, MacBooks and MBPs are shipped without journaled formatting. Now, they leave BootCamp off the master install image. Someone at Apple is going to get FIRED!

Gumz

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
I can confirm as well, new macbook, santa rosa chipset, X3100 Intel gfx, but no boot camp. their has to be an easier way to get it setup without having to reinstall from disc.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Its a good enough reason to reinstall though, you can get rid of the extra drivers and languages while you're at it...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
this was posted on apple's discussion boards

Hello,

I called Apple support this morning, and they guided me to the Boot Camp package on the setup CD - just put the Install Disc 1 in, then in Finder, to to Go -> Go To Folder... and put

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages
in the dialogue box. There you should see BootCamp.pkg. Running that with all the defaults puts the Boot Camp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities/

iamhardware

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
You need to install Boot Camp

I'm new to Macs and was getting frustrated with same issue
I found the answer here

http://bundlebit.com/blog/archive/2007/11/27/10-5-can-t-find-boot-camp-assistant-app.html

It turns out Boot Camp Assistant didn't install :-(

I hope this helps everyone

"Can't find the Boot Camp Assistant.app on your freshly installed OS X 10.5? No one's going to believe you? - It's part of the system they'll say..? Well, it's just happened to us on 3 brand new MacBooks.

Luckily there is an easy solution to install Boot Camp separately:
Insert the OS X Leopard installer DVD, in Finder press command + shift + g (Picture 4-1) and enter the following path:
/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/ for the Leopard retail CD or /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages for Disc 1 that came with a new Mac.

Then double-click the BootCamp.pkg - this package is the Boot Camp installer."

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Also it took me a few minutes and a quick google to realize that you don't use the bootcamp assistant app to burn the drivers cd. You just pop in the Leopard DVD and Windows will auto-launch the installation for the drivers.

mdk728

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
All about the processors

You will only see BootCamp if you have an Intel processor.

AddrienneKieren

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Mac issues. boot camp lost?

Hey, i have an eMac with leopard installed onto it but i can't seem to find the boot camp setup assistant. please if anyone can help, do so.:(:apple:

littleb2005

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
Hey, i have an eMac with leopard installed onto it but i can't seem to find the boot camp setup assistant. please if anyone can help, do so.:(:apple:

emac is powerpc only so no boot camp intel only processors

if u meant an intel imac then the problem already been solved just read the thread

AddrienneKieren

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well thanks for your info. i did mean a eMac, not intel based. crap, i think im gonna cry. well does anyone else know how i can play perfect world international on my stupid Mac? ( i don't think the word mac deserves a capitol m:(:mad::(:mad:)

AddrienneKieren

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well thanks for your info. i did mean a eMac, not intel based. crap, i think im gonna cry. well does anyone else know how i can play perfect world international on my stupid Mac? ( i don't think the word mac deserves a capitol m)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
well thanks for your info. i did mean a eMac, not intel based. crap, i think im gonna cry. well does anyone else know how i can play perfect world international on my stupid Mac? ( i don't think the word mac deserves a capitol m)

Well since I had no idea what that was I just checked out the wiki page on it. Since the system requirements are PC-only based with some fairly high hardware requirements I guess I would have to regretfully reply that it simply is not going to happen on an eMac (the last of which were introduced in early 2005).

There was a software emulator produced at one time for the PowerPC Macs like that called Virtual PC-- but it worked quite slowly on all software (and I had it running on a much faster Mac than the eMacs) and would certainly not adequately support something as modern as your desired program. Not to mention that it was discontinued a couple of years ago and remaining available copies are big $$.

Your best bet is to seek a used PC that meets at least the minimum specs for the game (craigslist?) if it is worth it to you to play that it would seem. Alternately, it would run fine on a current Mac with an Intel processor running Windows via BootCamp- but I doubt that is on the schedule.

pancakes

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
Can't find "Boot Camp Assistant" in Leopard

Hi...I've just received a new Mac PowerBook G4. I purchased the upgrade to 10.5.4 and installed it. I then tried to find Boot Camp, it is not in my utilities. I called Apple Support and they told me to re install the upgrade. I did; and is still not there. Anyone have any ideas. This is my first Mac and just learning. Thanks.

SimonJ

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Czech Republic
Hi...I've just received a new Mac PowerBook G4. I purchased the upgrade to 10.5.4 and installed it. I then tried to find Boot Camp, it is not in my utilities. I called Apple Support and they told me to re install the upgrade. I did; and is still not there. Anyone have any ideas. This is my first Mac and just learning. Thanks.

You are aware that your PowerBook has a PowerPC processor and therefore would be unable to run Windows anyway, right? Windows only works with Intel processors.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

The only thing you can use to run Windows is Virtual PC, but it will be REALLY slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.