Can't find "Computer" and left pane in Finder

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
I'm sorry if the subject sounds vague but not sure how to describe it.. I installed OSX (Panther) updates last week (after a really long time I finally gave in and installed all the updates) and next thing I know, whenI open up Finder to burn a data CD, the left hand side pane is completely missing :confused: .. the pane where I usually see my computer, Music, Pictures, Applications and Blank CD ... I tried setting it in Finder -> Prefs and ithought it had come back but then after closing and reopening Finder, the left pane disappeared again...

it's very weird.. I had to actually use the Menu to burn CD and needed two finder windos to drag n drop files.... any help/thoughts are welcome!!

TIA!!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Have you accidentally clicked on the toolbar toggle in the right hand corner and closed the sidebar? Also, in Finder preferences, the sidebar tab has a checkbox for Computer to be shown in the sidebar.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
bousozoku said:
Have you accidentally clicked on the toolbar toggle in the right hand corner and closed the sidebar? Also, in Finder preferences, the sidebar tab has a checkbox for Computer to be shown in the sidebar.
The toolbar toggle.. is that the little red "--" on the top right hand corner? (apologies if it sounds stupid but I'm at work on my PC... hehe). I tried that too and that didn't do anything. I was still just left with all the icons in the Finder without the left pane.

I did check the checkbox you suggested and I got the computer and other things to show up temporarily and was all happy but then i closed finder and reopened only to have it disappear again ... AND the checkbox was still checked.

Strange huh?????

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
dscan99 said:
The toolbar toggle.. is that the little red "--" on the top right hand corner? (apologies if it sounds stupid but I'm at work on my PC... hehe).
No, it's the little "Aqua-style" button on the top right of the Finder window. (And remember, there are no stupid questions, etc. ;))

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
If the Finder is showing a window with the brushed metal border, look for a dot in the middle of the left border. Grab it and drag it to the right. That's the size control for the sidebar.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Counterfit said:
If the Finder is showing a window with the brushed metal border, look for a dot in the middle of the left border. Grab it and drag it to the right. That's the size control for the sidebar.
Good call. Though it's might be even easier to just double-click the dot. :)

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Good call. Though it's might be even easier to just double-click the dot. :)

Thanks guys! I will give it a try tonight when I get home... hope it's something as simple as what you've suggested!

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
Counterfit said:
Yes!!! That did it!!! Thank you so much Counterfit!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.