Can't find Disk Utility application

lazeinadream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Hey guys.... I made a mistake. I needed to enable Root user for something, and while in that account seem to have accidentally DELETED the application "DIRECTORY Utility". Totally gone, can't find it anywhere on the system.

• Don't have "Net info manager" either.
  • Can't access it from " Accounts" under "system preferences"
  • Running 10.5.8

Any thoughts on how this happened and how I can get it back???

Thanks

:cool:

Last edited:

lazeinadream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
comeagain - no issues with disk utility. it shows up fine. i still have that application.

GGJ - how could this have happened? is there not another way?

lazeinadream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
DIRECTORY utility missing

Correction on my part. I should have written "DIRECTORY Utility" not "disk utility". I've had Disk Utility all along. It's DIRECTORY UTILITY I'm missing. Sorry for the confusion...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Correction on my part. I should have written "DIRECTORY Utility" not "disk utility". I've had Disk Utility all along. It's DIRECTORY UTILITY I'm missing. Sorry for the confusion...
For any app that came with Mac OS X, use Pacifist to extract it from the install disk, as I said.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you ever feel the need to upgrade to 10.6.8 and accidentally delete DU again: Directory Utility from 10.6.8

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
button below your message.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
It's early for me, I just woke by the sound of some old geezer driving his motorbike by my windows and shouting something about proper care of trampolines during their first jump (trampolines have to pass several jump tests) from 1000 meters depth.

Anyway, 10.5.8 is old, very old. The OP should immediately update to 10.7, as it would solve all problems and not introduce any malpractice.

And my flatmate is looking at buns, the breadly kind. Bastard (the flatmate, not you, reader).

lazeinadream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
if i've lost my original OS install disk, how can i go about getting Directory Utility again? i'm guessing the Pacify option doesn't work without the original install disk.

btw, upgrading to a newer OS isn't really an option right now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
if i've lost my original OS install disk, how can i go about getting Directory Utility again? i'm guessing the Pacify option doesn't work without the original install disk.

btw, upgrading to a newer OS isn't really an option right now.
You can contact Apple for replacement install disks. Yes, you need them.