can't find flash drive on snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaron4osu, Jul 21, 2010.

1. aaron4osu macrumors newbie

just fired up my new 17" i7 MBP, which is amazing, but I cant seem to locate my flash drive anywhere. I've been using os 10.4.11 so snow leopard is new to me, but it should pop up on the screen right? The flash drive works fine on an imac 800mhz, mbp 1.4ghz running 10.4, and computers running windows. it's a fairly new Memorex 4 gb usb 2.0 TravelDrive. Do i need to do anything special to format it? I've had this problem years ago on windows computers but never on a mac.
    thanks, aaron

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

When you plug in the flash drive, does it show up in disk utility?

3. aaron4osu thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried a different USB port? Also, if your flash drive has an LED to indicate when it is being accessed, does the LED light up when youconnect it to your MacBook Pro?

5. aaron4osu thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it lights up, and i've tried all three usb drives. i've also looked on the HD under devices and it doesn't show there either. I checked on the memorex website, and there are no drivers or anything to download. I've tried it on my other computers and it still works fine. I plugged a mouse into the same usb drives and it works as well. Totally stumped!

6. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

sounds like the flash is faulty, did you have it in a windows pc before? sometimes that throws the mechanics off a little.

7. aaron4osu thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, like i said I use it on both macs and pc's and it works fine. Just not on my new MBP. It definitely works on both systems, just not on the newest system(or newest MBP).

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Have you tried rebooting? Do you have any other thumb drives you could try?

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, do you have a different USB flash drive that you could try with the computer? If so, does that flash drive work with the MacBook Pro?

10. aaron4osu thread starter macrumors newbie

of course I can't find my old flash anywhere.