Can't find gtx 285 driver in my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luis Ortega, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I installed the new gtx285 card into my 2008 Mac Pro the other day (everything is fine) and then I saw a new driver on the internet, but I can't find which graphics card driver I am currently using on my Mac.
    I looked in system profiler but had no luck.
    Can anyone please advise me on how to check driver versions on a Mac and if there is anything like an Nvidia preferences window that allows me to check the card settings?
    Also, there is a CUDA driver listed also that should be installed after the nvidia driver. Does anyone have any information about this cuda driver and whether it needs to be installed?
    Thanks.

2. fjf macrumors newbie

I had this problem also, and I don't know if there's an easy way to figure out the driver version, but if you select:
    /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext
    in the Finder and do Get Info, the Version string tells you the version number of the installed driver.

Alternatively, open a terminal and look in the file:
    /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Regarding CUDA & the GTX 285, 10THzMac is probably the best person to ask. For the Quadro 4800, the CUDA 2.2 driver on the CD works but the new CUDA 2.3 doesn't work (for me).

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You can conveniently check the version under Profiler/Software/Extensions

4. fjf macrumors newbie

Huh - obvious in retrospect... Thanks for that! :)

5. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, everyone.
    It's nice to know where Macs store such information.

6. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

When did you originally install the driver? The ones posted up on Nvidia have been there for awhile now. It had been on there a 2 weeks I think before it posted up on the front page of this website. If you do have the old drivers, the new drivers will help considerably!