can't find HD/No destination, even in Disk Utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imacanucktwo, Mar 10, 2008.

1. imacanucktwo macrumors newbie

Alright, I have a g5 iMac and well, my computer crashed while I was using bittorrent. It wouldn't restart properly so I put the startup disks in and my HD didn't show for a destination.
    I read some forums and all lead to disk utility and finding your Hd greyed out/inactive or whatever, but mine isn't even showing up in disk utility.

Any clue on what to do or am I out of luck?

Thanks,
    PJ

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

If it's not even showing up in Disk Utility, that may mean that your hard drive is fried, which would really suck.

3. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

-Turn off your computer.
    Power it on, and immediately press Apple+S
    Keep them held, until you see writing coming across screen.
    When you get to the prompt, try typing:

/sbin/fsck -fy

4. imacanucktwo thread starter macrumors newbie

AWESOME!!! Alright I typed that in the terminal and not much seemed to happen but when I checked the disk utility, my HD popped up... but it's grey, any clue on how I can fix this?

5. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

You still cant select it from the disk utility menu?

When you typed in the terminal command, when it finished, was the last line "Disk was modified". If it did, run the command again, until the last line reports "The disk was not modified".

If it reports that the disk could not be repaired, your sunk, unfortunately.

6. th72468 macrumors newbie

Same Prob.

So do I need to have the disc in to do this. B/c when I went to do it without the disc in I held down Appl + S forever it felt like (a good 3 minutes), and the file question mark thing kept flashing. However when the disc was in it stated nothing about the HD itself, it just said the cd was working quite fine. Not what I'm interested in. I need to know if I need a new HD or not. Let me know... thanks!