>:( Can't find Mac Halo product key!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Bobdude161, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm not asking for a new/pirated or your product key, I'm simply asking where I can find mine. Here's the dilemma, I have both PC and Mac versions of Halo and I want to sell the Mac version since it goes for 60/70 dollars. I have my PC serial but the Mac version still remains unseen. I've checked Google and all I can find are a just a bunch of nubs asking for a serial key so they can install it. :rolleyes: That's not what I'm doing.

Anybody have any idea where I can find my product key on my hard drive? It would've been nice if the Halo key viewer for PC was also available for Mac, but things are never that easy....

I've looked at the Halo preference file and viewed it's contents with TextEdit and TextWrangler. They only show a 4-character gibberish word. Maybe I can type a command in the Halo console to view it? :confused:

The pic is the Halo CD for Mac and the Halo cover sleeve for PC so there are no questions of legitimacy. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

The key is on the back of the instruction manual book - or should be. You can write to Bungie and explain that you've lost it and ask for help - I did read of others doing this.

3. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I wrote to MacSoft about the same thing and they told me to upload some preference file to them and they could extract the key code from that. I did so and they never got back to me despite several e-mails. Good luck!

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Look in your ~/Library/Preferences folder for "com.macsoft.halo.plist".

Open that in TextEdit and your code will be near the end. It's four blocks of four capital letters or numbers, with dashes, like this:

####-####-####-####
    (a mix of numbers and letters)

Make sure you don't tack on extra characters before/after. All 4 sets should be exactly 4 characters long.

5. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wirelessly posted (Sausage: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

awesome! That worked! Thank you all for your help!!

6. rediron macrumors newbie

Not for me!

I do not have the file 'com.macsoft.halo.plist' in my prefs but rather a file named 'com.macsoft.update.plist' which will not give me the cd key. I am in the very same boat as the original poster. I have the box and cd/case but have no idea where that booklet went... :p I need the key for the 2.02 update...

Help?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well we arent gonna give you a key or how to obtain one. if you have the game, it should be installed in that directory

did you make sure you went to ~/Library/Preferences and not Leopard/library/Preferences?

8. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

no need to be a ass....
    i have the game too, and ive been having a problem, and i lost my old cd key. i tried re installing it, and the game still works, but its not doign well online. so i want to take the file with the cd key out, but i dont have the preference thing either. damn, stupid bungy

9. rediron macrumors newbie

Uhhhhh......

I don't want YOUR key or how to find another. I want MINE. Yes, I am sure. I also think that when I installed my newest OS X I just put the preferences file in the Preferences folder so I would still have the key installed on Halo.

I have two files in there and both are unreadable. One is the one I said about before, and the other is an old-looking Halo Preferences file. Again, both unreadable.....

10. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

where are those 2 located? I need to find my halo serial key as well.

11. tYsopz macrumors member

Is it possible to use the PC cdkey on the mac version?

12. Escuriadao macrumors newbie

People keep saying ~/Library/Preferences, how do you get to the ~ part, what I tried was going to Home/Library/Preferences and there was nothing that said com.macsoft in there. I also tried spotlighting com.macsoft, to no avail.

13. Sweep'n Streets macrumors member

/Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/

14. Squirrelxb macrumors newbie

15. KaiserrrrR macrumors newbie

Dahh this isn't working for me D: I don't have the "com.macsoft.halo.plist" file!

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you have the Halo UA, or the old PowerPC version?

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'd like to know an answer for this except to use a Mac key on the Windows version. :cool:

18. walonader macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump another old thread

I'm having this same problem. I only have two files that start with "com.macsoft..." They're both short files that don't appear to be Halo related. Any other places to look for this file with the key code? Anyone have success emailing Bungie or Macsoft?

19. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You need to have already installed Halo with a CD key first before that string will show up. If you've never installed with with the key, the key has no way to be there.

20. walonader macrumors newbie

I have, I've been playing it installed for 5-6 years. Does it need the CD to be in? I thought it was in when I checked yesterday but I can't remember

21. walonader macrumors newbie

Any other ideas for getting the CD Key without the manual on hand?

22. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Doubtful. I have the key but no way to install it since the Installer, even in the UB, is PPC. What should I do?