Can't find macintosh folder to recover, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ujin, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ujin macrumors newbie

Ujin

I accidentally erased my macbook air from the app "find my phone" on I phone. Then it erased everything that I had.
    And then I had this screen called Disk utilities and there was this option "resinstall mac os". I did and now everything seems gone. I have photos, files and 3 years of every memory of mine and they seem to be gone.
    I don't know what to do. I used to have this drive called "macintosh" and everything was on it and now I dont have it. I am basically cryin and don't know what to do.
    I installed some data recovery apps and none of them can't find my old drive. What should I do? Can somebody help me?

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Remotely erasing the Macbook is usually done when the Macbook has been lost or stolen. The remote erase function is a security feature for Apple products and the erase process is done in such a way as to prevent easy recovery of the deleted files.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

You need to take it to a professional data recovery service.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    The reason you can't 'find' the old drive is because it's been wiped. Data recovery is possible on a wiped drive, but the most important thing to do is stop using your Mac. As you use it, your old data is being overwritten.

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

If you do go with a data recovery service, be prepared to pay lots of money with the possibility of only recovering some of your files.

5. NoBoMac, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Lesson learned. Get an external drive and backup your information periodically (TimeMachine, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!).