can't find "memory" option in "get info" window

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mekano, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mekano macrumors newbie

hi
    i would love to know how to allocate more memory to certain applications in mac os x 10.4.10.
    i've googled and searched in these forums for the answer, and most provide a solution along the lines of this:
    open the get info window for the relative application. drop down the memory option and increase the size of RAM bla bla.
    i've tried doing this but can't for the life of me find the memory option.
    has anyone had a problem like this?
    does anyone know how to allocate memory to individual app's?
    should be simple, but i cant figure it out. maybe i am simple.
    thank you

2. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

I might be wrong, but I don't believe you can allocate memory to specific programs in OS X. Back in OS 9 and prior, you could do exactly what you're suggesting and increase memory per application. OS X does this dynamically.

Perhaps there's some funky UNIX or terminal way to do this...

3. mekano thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm, thanks for your reply, as much as i didnt want to hear that. i have an audio editing program called Peak Pro that will refuse to start as it has memory issues. when you open it, it states:

Peak has run out of memory and is unable to perform the requested action. Try increasing application memory from Finder or closing some audio document windows.

i have no other apps running. how can it run out of memory?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like it's a classic app? Either that or a very badly ported one. Real OSX native apps should never display an error like that.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The maker of this software suggests that this is some kind of bug in OS X and/or an interaction between a bug in their software and OS X. So first, per the below, make sure both Peak and OS X are fully updated.

http://www.bias-inc.com/support/faq/cView.php?faq_id=147

However, they state that it should only occur with 10.4.2 and below... so it shouldn't be expected with 10.4.10.... I would contact them directly.

As others said, this should all be unneccessary with OS X software. The only thing you need to do is make sure that you have sufficient space (at the very minimum, 5GB, and if possible, 15-20% of capacity) on your HD available so that the computer never runs out of VM space. If you think about it, with virtual memory, assigning memory to apps is silly. Your computer has as much memory as it can address, in combination of real and virtual memory, as long as the HD does not fill.

6. Quetz macrumors newbie

Peak pro 5.2 out of memory?

Hi,
    I am having the same problem with Bias Peak Pro 5.2, but my MacBookPro is running 10.4.11,
    any idea?
    Thank you in adv.

Quetz