can't find "memory" option in "get info" window

mekano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
hi
i would love to know how to allocate more memory to certain applications in mac os x 10.4.10.
i've googled and searched in these forums for the answer, and most provide a solution along the lines of this:
open the get info window for the relative application. drop down the memory option and increase the size of RAM bla bla.
i've tried doing this but can't for the life of me find the memory option.
has anyone had a problem like this?
does anyone know how to allocate memory to individual app's?
should be simple, but i cant figure it out. maybe i am simple.
thank you

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I might be wrong, but I don't believe you can allocate memory to specific programs in OS X. Back in OS 9 and prior, you could do exactly what you're suggesting and increase memory per application. OS X does this dynamically.

Perhaps there's some funky UNIX or terminal way to do this...

mekano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
mmm, thanks for your reply, as much as i didnt want to hear that. i have an audio editing program called Peak Pro that will refuse to start as it has memory issues. when you open it, it states:

Peak has run out of memory and is unable to perform the requested action. Try increasing application memory from Finder or closing some audio document windows.

i have no other apps running. how can it run out of memory?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Sounds like it's a classic app? Either that or a very badly ported one. Real OSX native apps should never display an error like that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The maker of this software suggests that this is some kind of bug in OS X and/or an interaction between a bug in their software and OS X. So first, per the below, make sure both Peak and OS X are fully updated.

http://www.bias-inc.com/support/faq/cView.php?faq_id=147

I get an "Out of Memory" error when launching Peak 5.2

Mac OS X v. 10.4 introduced a bug in which the following error message appears when Peak 5.2 is launched:

"Peak has run out of memory and is unable to perform the requested action.
Try increasing application memory from the Finder or closing some audio document windows."

This problem affects G4 or G5 processor equipped Macintosh computers, and affects systems running Mac OS X v. 10.4.0 - 10.4.2.
Apple corrected this issue in Mac OS X v. 10.4.3, which is a free update.

To automatically download and install the update, do the following:

* From the Apple Menu, choose Software Update
* Click the Install button — any available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically
* Reboot your computer

If you are using a piece of hardware or software that is only compatible with Mac OS X v. 10.4.0 - 10.4.2, and this prevents you from being able to install any later version of the Mac OS, please contact BIAS technical support.

Email: BIAS Technical Support Phone: +1-707-782-1865
However, they state that it should only occur with 10.4.2 and below... so it shouldn't be expected with 10.4.10.... I would contact them directly.

As others said, this should all be unneccessary with OS X software. The only thing you need to do is make sure that you have sufficient space (at the very minimum, 5GB, and if possible, 15-20% of capacity) on your HD available so that the computer never runs out of VM space. If you think about it, with virtual memory, assigning memory to apps is silly. Your computer has as much memory as it can address, in combination of real and virtual memory, as long as the HD does not fill.

Quetz

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
Peak pro 5.2 out of memory?

Hi,
I am having the same problem with Bias Peak Pro 5.2, but my MacBookPro is running 10.4.11,
any idea?
Thank you in adv.

Quetz